Image Map Image Map
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: CNN's iReport says "Show us your vintage Macs"...

  1. #1

    Default CNN's iReport says "Show us your vintage Macs"...

    http://www.ireport.com/ir-topic-stor...topicId=186195

    "The Macintosh desktop is turning 25 on Saturday, and we'd love to take a stroll down memory lane.

    Apple's tiny computer, released in 1984, was different with its uniform design, decidedly un-furry "mouse" and innovative graphical user interface.

    Send photos of vintage Macs and put yourself on video. What was your first Mac, and why did you get it? How are you using this device? Are the computers still as mind-blowing now, and how far have they come?"

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
    http://www.ireport.com/ir-topic-stor...topicId=186195

    "The Macintosh desktop is turning 25 on Saturday, and we'd love to take a stroll down memory lane.

    Apple's tiny computer, released in 1984, was different with its uniform design, decidedly un-furry "mouse" and innovative graphical user interface.

    Send photos of vintage Macs and put yourself on video. What was your first Mac, and why did you get it? How are you using this device? Are the computers still as mind-blowing now, and how far have they come?"
    To quote reality:

    In 1985 a person I knew bought a MAC, it cost him $5,000, more than I had by any stretch of the imagination, I bought a made in Taiwan piece of crap IBM XT clone, which cost $1,700.

    That's my memory lane of a MAC.
    GEEKS WITH A GRUDGE!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Västerås, Sweden
    Posts
    6,277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
    What was your first Mac, and why did you get it?
    It was a severly outdated LC475 (25 MHz 68LC040), and I got it for free when the student union cleaned out computers no longer needed. I think my dad used it a few times, then put away for storage until one day the BIOS battery was dead. I bought a replacement battery and shortly after managed to sell it to a friend for the same amount of money the battery on its own cost. Today, the only Macintosh related item I own is another emptied LC475 computer case which I used as a monitor stand for some time, possibly going to build something inside it some day.

    Oh well, I know you didn't want replies to this thread but I couldn't help myself.
    Anders Carlsson

  4. #4

    Default

    It is a small world. In 1985, I too bought a sort of nice Leading Edge. Think it would actually run at 8 Mhz. A real deal at ONLY $1500.

    Oh, you want a hard drive with that? Plz remit an additional $1500 for the add-on 20 MB hard drive.

    Good old days? Ya, right!

    The Nutshell database software that came with it was fun for a few weeks.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcmagee View Post
    It is a small world. In 1985, I too bought a sort of nice Leading Edge. Think it would actually run at 8 Mhz. A real deal at ONLY $1500.

    Oh, you want a hard drive with that? Plz remit an additional $1500 for the add-on 20 MB hard drive.

    Good old days? Ya, right!

    The Nutshell database software that came with it was fun for a few weeks.
    My first Hard Drive was a Seagate 60 megg RLL, cost me little over 600 ish.
    GEEKS WITH A GRUDGE!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    5,558
    Blog Entries
    42

    Default

    My first mac was a Macintosh Plus with an external hard drive.
    = Excellent space heater

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    My first mac was a Macintosh Plus with an external hard drive.
    The audience wants to know know how much it cost?
    GEEKS WITH A GRUDGE!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    5,558
    Blog Entries
    42

    Default

    $30.

    10char
    = Excellent space heater

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Ohio/USA
    Posts
    7,375
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I have 40 some odd old macs , purchased or snagged free from 2000 to 2008.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

  10. #10

    Default

    I have some macs...
    http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/...on/macSE30.htm
    http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/...ac-classic.htm
    http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/...rbook-145b.htm

    I didn't actually own a Mac until I got these about a year ago. However, I did have quite a lot to DO with Macs in the late 80s/early 90s, when I tinkered around with expert systems (using Prolog) and some educational software I designed was ported to Macs using Hypercard.

    They were nice machines, but very, very expensive and didn't appear to have as much software as the PC world. What I remember most about the Mac during those times was the fanaticism of those people who owned them!

    Tez
    ------------------------------------------------
    My vintage collection: https://classic-computers.org.nz/collection/
    My vintage activities blog: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/
    Twitter: @classiccomputNZ ; YouTube Videos: (click here)


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •