Image Map Image Map

Thread: Looking for Brother WP-1400D

Default Looking for Brother WP-1400D

I've been searching for a word processor to replace a broken version that I currently have. Ideally I'm looking for a Brother WP 1400D, but I'd also be interested in any other Brother model that works with the same disks. I'm not certain which format the 1400D uses (word processor information on the web is pretty lacking), but anything that will allow me to access my old files is OK by me!

Thanks everyone!

Blog Entries

Which disks does it ust? Got a pic?

--T
    Teach your children how to think, not what, and hold 'em close, not tight.

Please visit the Vintage-Computer Wiki. Contributers welcome.

I don't have them handy, but they were standard 3.5 inch floppies. I later used some of the blanks successfully in the PC I got years later. The word processor itself was from 1993 if that helps date it any.

Blog Entries

Doesn't the WP1400 use "Brother 240K format" 3.5" floppies? "720K" media, but with a special GCR format on them.

Sometimes you can find these at thrift stores or eBay.

Blog Entries

I'd try my luck with 22DISK. It allows the user to define your own disk formats (providing you have the formatting details handy).

--T
    Teach your children how to think, not what, and hold 'em close, not tight.

Please visit the Vintage-Computer Wiki. Contributers welcome.

Default Gcr

I don't think regular PC controllers will do GCR. A Catweasel will, although I've never tried it with a 3.5" drive and a GCR disk.
    You still need to figure out the format the files are in.
    Do you have a bunch of them ?
    Just load one into a DOS or Windows machine, and look at it with a low-level disk editor, and see if you can make out any of the data. If it works, yay, if not, back to the drawing board.
    How is the 1400 broken, anyway ? Maybe it's an easy repair ?
    patscc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Yager View Post
    I'd try my luck with 22DISK. It allows the user to define your own disk formats (providing you have the formatting details handy).
    If it's the 240K variety, 22Disk isn't going to help you. If it isn't, the disks are readable under plain old MS-DOS (i.e. they're FAT12 filesystem).

There were a couple of varieties of 240K logical formats, but you might find that something like a WP3550 might also be able to read your WP1400 disks.

When I power up the machine the printer attempts to snap into action but it fails to move. The machine isn't able to power on unless the printer is in operation, so it just gets stuck right there.

When I next get my hands on the disks (they're in another state right now) I'll see if I can determine how the data is saved. I only have about 4 or 5 ones that I'm looking to recover the data from, so nothing too major.

Default printer

What does the printer transport use ? Is the head on a wire, or on a rubber belt of some sort.
    All the BIOS might be waiting for is for the head to report it's arrived "home".
    Usually there's some sort of photo interrupter that a tab on the head goes through, or a switch, or something of that nature.
    See if you can find something, and try fooling it with a piece of cardboard or a finger.
    patscc

Default WP-1400D for sale

I am selling the BROTHER Word Processor WP-1400D on craigslist.

https://accounts.craigslist.org/post...55736589&db=lv