Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's this card?

Default What's this card?

I can't find anything about this card, the ports on the back marked To Video-In and To Video out (RCA) and a spot for a remote

What is it?

http://www.ibm5150pc.com/card.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by frozenfire75i View Post
    I can't find anything about this card, the ports on the back marked To Video-In and To Video out (RCA) and a spot for a remote

What is it?

http://www.ibm5150pc.com/card.jpg
    Some sort of Video Capture Card perhaps?
    GEEKS WITH A GRUDGE!

According to the FCC lookup E5Z5K3AM-614 was made by an Alpha Microsystems, 3501 Sunflower Santa Ana, CA 92704. The FCC granted their request on 10/26/1987. Unfortunately there is no documentation accompanying this on the FCC website.

I'm not sure it's the same company, but here's a link to documentation of alpha microsystems products link

Blog Entries

Dunno, but I bet Cameron Kaiser (ckaiser@floodgap.com) at Floodgap might have an idea... Alpha Micro made a bewildering number of products over the years.

And the logo looks similar to that on the board. Alpha Micro has been a long time vendor of multiuser computer systems. It is probably one of their backup cards or such.

Is there a number above the Alpha Micro silk screen on the top left by the bracket? Are there other connectors besides the two RCA plugs? It looks like that big silver can in the top left has an opening in the bracket too.

DWB-00614-00 is the number that can't be seen in the shot,

The big sliver box is for a remote so it says 20 pins.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2syd View Post
    And the logo looks similar to that on the board. Alpha Micro has been a long time vendor of multiuser computer systems. It is probably one of their backup cards or such.

Is there a number above the Alpha Micro silk screen on the top left by the bracket? Are there other connectors besides the two RCA plugs? It looks like that big silver can in the top left has an opening in the bracket too.

Hi! I am going out on a limb here and guessing its one of those "backup to VCR" peripherals that were briefly popular in the 1980's. It certainly does not appear to be a video card and the chips suggest to me a high speed data encoder/decoder. Of course, that's a guess.

I hope this helps. Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Default VCR Backup

That's a good guess, there's a high-speed video switch on there (TDA 5850) and a couple of high-speed comparators (LT1016).
    I can't really make out any other chips, other then TTL glue logic and such, and the big custom Motorola Monstrosity.
    Does the shiny thing have a part number on it anywhere ?
    On the TDA 5850, pin's 8 & 4 are inputs to the switch, pin 3 is the switch, and pin 2 is the output.
    patscc

Blog Entries

That is a good guess. I was going to suggest a VCR video record/capture card myself, but then, it'd prob'ly have audio in/outputs too. It might be a good idea to pop it into sum'n and dump the ROM, could be a klew there.

--T
    Teach your children how to think, not what, and hold 'em close, not tight.

Please visit the Vintage-Computer Wiki. Contributers welcome.

Blog Entries

Google "Alpha Micro Videotrax" and read all about it.

I used a competing VHS backup system in the 80's. S L O W . . .