Image Map Image Map

Thread: Xerox 820-II Disks

Default Xerox 820-II Disks

Well, I've received my Xerox 820-II (Thanks Erik!)

Now, after searching the Internet, I have yet to find any Disk images for it, in the 5.25" drive format. all the ones I have found are for 8" drives...

Does anyone out there have an 820-II with 5.25" drives? If so, would it be possible for you to make some Disk Images for me? I'd really appreciate it.

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...ad.php?t=14602

Read that thread. Sure sounds like doing the same thing to me.

Hmm, I've tried just writing the 8" images to 5.25", no luck there. I'm going to try the Xerox 820 (Not 820-II) images I've found next.

I haven't tried any of that myself. Did seem to work in one case. Note: says was using 1.2MB disks.
    I have a real 8" drive sitting here. I need to get around to working on getting those (dual drives) working.

Can someone tell me about the cable that connects a Xerox 820-11 to a 5 1/4" drive? I understand that when connecting a disk drive to the 820 board pin 2 of J1 must be grounded for 5 1/4" drives. Pin 2 of J1 must be opened for 8" drives. That may be the problem...the disks you're making are ok, but you have not grounded pin 2.

Bill

UPDATE:
    I found the answer to my question. Using an SA 405 drive...and a 34-pin cable
    The cable for the 5 1/4" drive is (according to notes I have):
    1 n/c
    2 GND if 5 1/4"
    3 n/c
    4 index
    5 select 1
    6 select 2
    7 side select/select 3
    8 head load
    9 direction
    10 step
    11 write data
    12 write gate
    13 trk 0
    14 write prot
    15 read data
    16 low current
    17 ready
    18 free +12
    19 +5
    20-37 GND
    Last edited by billdeg; March 11th, 2009 at 05:51 PM.
    @ BillDeg:
    Web: vintagecomputer.net
    Twitter: @billdeg
    Youtube: @billdeg
    Unauthorized Bio

Hmmm, Pin 2 of J1 on the floppy seems to be a ground, shouldn't be problems there. Not sure what to do. I'll keep looking I guess.

Interesting information on the cable though Billdeg. Any idea how to do the opposite, connect an 8" drive to an 820? That might be one of my future (once I get some 8" drives) projects.

yes, simply open pin 2. It works like a toggle.
    @ BillDeg:
    Web: vintagecomputer.net
    Twitter: @billdeg
    Youtube: @billdeg
    Unauthorized Bio

I understand the pin 2 thing, I just don't know what the 8" drive cable looks like, except for the DB-37 on the one end.

Well, I've received some very good help, but I now have a different issue; A Cap in my 820's PSU just Blew up (a good show though, 2 loud cracks and tons of smoke). It's repairable and nothing else looks like it's harmed. But testing will resume after I've repaired it.