Image Map Image Map

Thread: Apple /// power supply schematic

Default Apple /// power supply schematic

I left an Apple 3 sitting there running memory tests while I went to the store. I came back to the biggest stink and clouds of smoke. C1 had decided to blow up in spectacular fashion. Nothing left but, a melted mass and a stink I cant get out of the table. If nothing it was a wakeup not to leave 20 year old electronics running unattended. Obviously it could have ended worse.

I'd love to give it another try and see if I cant blow up another one but, not enough left to see what its ratings were.

Ouch!

Yea, I don't like to leave my vintage models running unattended for that very reason. Which is why they don't get as much of a regular workout as they should.

Tez
    ------------------------------------------------
    My vintage collection: https://classic-computers.org.nz/collection/
    My vintage activities blog: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/
    Twitter: @classiccomputNZ ; YouTube Videos: (click here)

C1 is the same as C7 - 2200pf.

Technically you can run the power supply without it, but it's best to have it. You either got a power surge or the thing just decided to short the plates across the dielectric.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I had the same thing happen to one of my A3s although I was standing there at the time. . .

It was an easy fix, too. . .

Happened to me twice
    bd
    @ BillDeg:
    Web: vintagecomputer.net
    Twitter: @billdeg
    Youtube: @billdeg
    Unauthorized Bio

Thanks for the info. Its an easy fix if I can figure out a way to stand the smell long enough to fix it

Three days later and the smell still makes my eyes water if I get too close to it.

I wouldn't think a surge as it had been running continually for about 20 minutes before it happened.

It's not a surge issue. It's just an old cap that warmed up, cracked and then smoked some oil.

I know the smell well.