Image Map Image Map

Thread: 486DX laptop hard drive

Default 486DX laptop hard drive

Today I got my hands on a Sager 486DX laptop. Somebody at work found it laying in one corner somewhere, it had its PSU sitting on the side and we trying to boot it up and see if it even works. Amazingly the thing powered up, counted it's 8MB of RAM and then complained that CMOS settings were incorrect. Its battery is obviously dead. Now here's the thing, it's got a Toshiba MK2124FC 120MB hard drive and I'm trying to get it to recognize the hard drive. This thing obviously is from an era when you had to manually enter the HDD's info (no auto-detect) in the BIOS in order for it to recognize it, but I have no idea what they are.

All I know about the hard drive is this: it's a Toshiba MK2124FC 120MB HDD2216 C ZB04. In order to properly configure the laptop to work with it I need these informations about it: Number of Cylinders, Head, WPcom, Landing Zone and Sectors. Can anybody tell me how can I find out this info about it?

I already tried searching the net to see if I can find anything but no luck. I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks

The combination of cylinders, head and sectors is what's known as the "geometry" of the drive. I suspect using that word in your search query would've got you further ;-) Have a look for your part number here:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/pc-hardware-faq/part3/

Don't know what you'd need for WPcom and Landing Zone, though.

Default settings

934 C, 16 H, 17 S
    WP & landing are legacy settings and meaningless for the Toshiba.
    patscc

Thank you cosam and patscc for the replies.

I believe I've got it recognized by the laptop but it's not booting up. I think it doesn't have an operating system installed, I can't tell. It's got a 1.44 floppy drive, but I don't have any floppies around to boot from. With no means for booting I guess nothing can be done about this laptop for now.

Anyways, thanks for the help.

Default Sop

Standard Operating Procedure for a lot of surplus stuff is to nuke the HD, unfortunately, so you need to scrounge up a boot disk. What else do you have in the way of computers ?
    patscc

i used to use a program called ideinfo, it was great for getting the params needed for cmos...

later,
    Chris

Blog Entries

Some of those laptops have a limit on cylinder (1024) or it doesn't work correctly. I had to drop my 540MB WD laptop HD in a 486slc machine to 500MB for it to show up correctly. When I used the correct cylinder I would get 40MB of drive space (the amount over the 500).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Its also possible that it wasnt configured at its max capacity, tho finding out if that's true still brings U back to a 'boot disk'...