Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Floppy for Sharp Pocket computers

*SOME*body (not pointing any fingers) forgot to update us with the auction id Here's the CE-301F floppy/interface from him in the UK. Looks like it has 3 days left with 3 bids currently.
    Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

It been years since I've been here but am still looking for this floppy.

Just bumping it and hoping...

I check my E500 every few and replace the battery every couple of years.

framer

Here is a Sharp PC-3000 with the floppy drive:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    Here is a Sharp PC-3000 with the floppy drive:

That is the wrong type of Sharp system. This topic is not about a MSDOS laptop with bog standard 3.5" drives; this topic is for the calculator style pocket PC with their unique flippy 2.5" disks.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slLn...&nohtml5=False shows off the drive with a different model of Pocket PC.

A different Youtube video covers the ce1600 alternate casing for the same basic drive system. That one is poorly shot and had sound removed by Youtube so I won't link to it.

The PC-3000 was discussed earlier in this thread, and despite using standard 3.5" disks, its floppy drive is supposedly very rare as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    The PC-3000 was discussed earlier in this thread, and despite using standard 3.5" disks, its floppy drive is supposedly very rare as well.
    Someone just bought a broken CE-301F for $50. I hope for that person's sake that the drive works the way it appears to and undoing several screws will allow the standard 3.5" HD drive to slide out of the enclosure to replaced by another one.
    The PC-3000 could instead use a Backpack or RangerDisk 3 as an external 3.5" floppy drive.

Just a note that I do check this thread every few months. I had on contact from a person in Europe that wanted to sell me one but all he would say was it would cost me a lot. He had zero posts here so I never contacted him. Personally I considered it a scammer.

I did like the youtube of the CF140f working.

framer

Ah the 2.5 inch floppy disc drive for the old Sharp pocket computers... I am sure i still have one on the attic somewhere. Costed me an arm and a leg back in the days. I think i paid like 40,000 Yen for it which was nearly 400 USD back in the days. I just liked it because of the cute little floppies. And oh boy it was pretty useless - at least for me. If you store or load a 3KB program it doesn't make much difference if you load it from tape or from floppy. Maybe you were saving a few seconds, but nothing i would have noticed. Only advantage is that you never need to rewind.

So you bought it from Jeffrey Dahmer. Sorry to hear that.

Google the name if you don't know it.

Anyways, I never knew that were that slow. Thanks for the tip. I've used a serial interface to a PC for years to backup and load programs into it. It loads at 9600baud which for small programs is fast enough.

framer

Ah yeah, got the joke... Well for very small programs the floppy wasn't much of an advantage. Maybe if you wrote a 50KB program or so - but honestly for these Sharp pocket computers i lack the phantasy to imagine some huge program that would be useful. If you load and save really a lot the floppy is nice, but i usually only loaded and saved like one small program a day, so the floppy was mostly good for bragging. Oh well the discs look so cute. When i got time i should clean up the attic and see if i can find it.