Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The fate of the 72X CD-ROM drive

Default The fate of the 72X CD-ROM drive

Whatever happened to the 72X CD-ROM drive? I speak of the CD-ROM reader realeased by Kenwood in '00 that split the laser into seven beams, allowing it to read seven tracks at a time and giving it an effective speed of 72X. They suddenly disappeared from the market, and I can't find one anywhere today, even on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberian Fiend View Post
    Whatever happened to the 72X CD-ROM drive? I speak of the CD-ROM reader realeased by Kenwood in '00 that split the laser into seven beams, allowing it to read seven tracks at a time and giving it an effective speed of 72X. They suddenly disappeared from the market, and I can't find one anywhere today, even on eBay.

They seemed to have a very short lifespan. I purchased a brand-new Kenwood 62x drive in about 2000, it lasted 9 months and then died. Kenwood replaced it with a new 72x drive, it lasted 3 months.

Very quiet when running, none of that "Turbines to speed, Batman" nonsense that other fast cd-roms exhibit. Very fast on sequential reads such as game or OS installs. A bit faster than most for random reads.

I have a Kenwood True-X 52 but I don't know if it still works.

Kent

Blog Entries

I have a 48x (or sumtin') that works great. I can't really imagine 72X...

I belieeeeeevvvee I can Flyyyyyyyyyy.
    [..RETRONET..] http://www.retro-box.net

IRC, FTP, HTTP and Quake!

Check us out (we have cookies)!

After trying a 52x and having the drive spin out, causing the CD to shatter into shards, I never go above a 40x CD reader. Too antsy about high speed disc readers since then.

Didn't the mythbusters cover this? I thought an undamaged CD didn't disintegrate until somewhere around 20,000 RPM (about 2x the 52x speed).

Blog Entries

Yes, they did. I saw that episode. Used some high-speed rotary tool (grinder, i think).
    [..RETRONET..] http://www.retro-box.net

IRC, FTP, HTTP and Quake!

Check us out (we have cookies)!

I suppose if the drive vibrated hard enough the disc could wobble and nick an internal part causing it to break up. Maybe, I never actually opened one up before to look at the inside. The drive I have now I think tops out at 42x but I've had a 52x before that was a bit much and commonly failed at high speeds. I've seen 54x but wouldn't trust anything higher than 48x.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2syd View Post
    an undamaged CD
    I did some more reading on this. I think the key is undamaged. A small crack at the hub can cause instabiliby leading to failure.

Bingo, kb. I noticed early on it had tiny ridges and cracks in the hub. Wanna know what CD it was? It was my store-bought Windows XP retail upgrade disc. Luckily, I made an ISO image of it about a week prior.

Either way, I'm still very nervous about high-speed drives like that. Even if you know the statistics, seeing a pie-shaped wedge of a CD stuck half-way in the wall will still put a person on edge. heh

Blog Entries

I have a 50x and it gets a bit noisy sometimes. I think one of the reasons we never seen CD burners faster then 48x was because of vibration messing up writing (that and the faster speed was just at the edges so overall they were not much faster then slower drives).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems