Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MS Word 5.5 for DOS for FREE (legally)

Default MS Word 5.5 for DOS for FREE (legally)

Check it out, Microsoft released Word for DOS 5.5 for free, it was originally a Y2K fix, but instead of just a patch, they posted the full version of Word for DOS 5.5... (yes, this is from Microsoft's official web site)..this will give you an EXE file, you have to run it and then run Setup.

Word for DOS 5.5

I just downloaded and ran it on my modern PC (Pentium 4 2.0 Ghz), it runs fine, although you can't see the splash screen, because my PC is too fast, lol. There are long pauses whenever you access a file for Windows to convert FAT32 to FAT16 apparently. It appears Word 5.5 doesn't recognize long file names either.

Tried loading a modern MS Word file, it was all gibberish. Even saving a file in Word 6.0 format with OpenOffice did not fix.

--Brian

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
    Check it out, Microsoft released Word for DOS 5.5 for free, it was originally a Y2K fix, but instead of just a patch, they posted the full version of Word for DOS 5.5... (yes, this is from Microsoft's official web site)..this will give you an EXE file, you have to run it and then run Setup.

Word for DOS 5.5

I just downloaded and ran it on my modern PC (Pentium 4 2.0 Ghz), it runs fine, although you can't see the splash screen, because my PC is too fast, lol. There are long pauses whenever you access a file for Windows to convert FAT32 to FAT16 apparently. It appears Word 5.5 doesn't recognize long file names either.

Tried loading a modern MS Word file, it was all gibberish. Even saving a file in Word 6.0 format with OpenOffice did not fix.

--Brian
    While it won't open modern Word files; it does, I think, let you work with RTF files, which is still supported by all modern WP programs.

Blog Entries

Here is another interesting link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...b-ddaac771295f

It would appear to be a complete version of Dos 6.2 from MS.

EDIT: It actually appears to be an upgrade (step up) version, but is still free.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    EDIT: It actually appears to be an upgrade (step up) version, but is still free.
    Very interesting!!! Would be good to try and run actual MS-DOS on the 8088. I have DOS 2.0 on there I think...I was going to put FreeDOS on there. You can buy IBM DOS 2000 on Amazon, seller is IBM, but you can't buy it directly from them I guess.

IBM DOS 2000

--Brian

5. Default

ibm pcdos v7.10 comes free with the IBM ServerGuide Scripting Toolkit, which is also free. pcdos v7.10 supports fat32.

the file is: ibm_sw_sgtk_1_3_07_anyos_anycpu.zip

download:
    http://www-947.ibm.com/systems/suppo...andind=5000008

sgstk page:
    http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/management/sgstk/

i also want to add that ibm pcdos 2000 is also freely avaliable from ibm ftp site:
    ftp://ftp.boulder.ibm.com/software/dos/ (i have not tested this version yet)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post

Word for DOS 5.5

--Brian
    Interesting stuff. I have Word 2.0 on floppy disks. Works fine, but the fonts are screwed up.
    [..RETRONET..] http://www.retro-box.net

IRC, FTP, HTTP and Quake!

Check us out (we have cookies)!

Quote Originally Posted by tikbalang View Post
    pcdos v7.10 supports fat32.
    I tried running Windows 3.11 for workgroups on a FAT32 DOS (I stripped Win98 DOS files) but it wouldn't work. Yet Win 3.10 (standard) worked fine.

Is this life, or is there a way to make WFW3.11 run on a FAT32 system? I ask because I plan to have a system running WFW3.11 & PC-DOS 7.1.

Quote Originally Posted by DreadStorm View Post
    I tried running Windows 3.11 for workgroups on a FAT32 DOS (I stripped Win98 DOS files) but it wouldn't work. Yet Win 3.10 (standard) worked fine.
    Windows 3.11 normally won't work with the Windows 9x DOS. It did in the initial release of Windows 95, but Microsoft subsequently modified DOS to prevent it from working because they were afraid that WfW 3.11 would have problems with FAT32 (the first release of W95 only supported FAT16). You need a patch to get it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by DreadStorm View Post
    Is this life, or is there a way to make WFW3.11 run on a FAT32 system? I ask because I plan to have a 486 system running WFW3.11 & PC-DOS 7.1.
    It's not really worth the effort. If you want to have Windows 98 and 3.11 coexist on the same computer, it would work better to have two separate hard disk partitions, one with Windows 98 (although I sure wouldn't try running it on a 486), and one with DOS 6.22/WfW 3.11.

you could try looking for a patch, the stubborn probably made a DOS extender/patch for win 3.1 to work, have you tried using MS-DOS 7.0 Beta, it acts like 6.2 but with win95 added features to enhance it, but maybe a more modern MS-DOS compatible would be suitable, but if you really want plain old MS-DOS 6.2 running 3.1, you'll find a way.

My real hope was going down the line generationally, for each machine I'm building. I'll start another thread in General Vintage discussions, because this could go on a bit.