Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for an old game called "Island"

1. Default Looking for an old game called "Island"

Back in grade school, we used IBM computers like the IBM PS/2 Model 25.
    This was in the early 1990's. They ran Warp OS. or something.

The game was called Island, and you were a dude who washed up on a tiny island, and you had to survive and make choices. You could collect water, catch fish, collect logs for a raft, sleep, and send messages in bottles.

You had to get off the island before 30 "game" days were up or a huricane blew the island away.
    You can die by getting eaten by sharks when you are out swimming to get planks, a pirate ship can find your message in a bottle and capture you, you can sleep too much and die, or you can starve to death.

Hopefully, all goes well and you get rescued bt a freindly ship before you get eaten, starve, captured or blown away.

I remembet it being keyboard based, and it being under a megabye. I could fit it on a floppy disk and sneak a copy home.

I have looked far and wide for this, I am dying to get it. Thanks
    Last edited by Civic Protection; May 1st, 2009 at 08:44 PM.

no idea really... but really sounds like "robinson's requiem" game, by silmarils... pretty hard game, that one...

I know the game you are talking about. I played it in elementary school as well. I've been looking for it, but I can't seem to find it anywhere! Let me know if you come across it.

Any chance this might be one of the educational games from MECC?
    They apparently put out one called The Secret Island of Dr. Quandary.
    (I'd never played it, sorry)
    Lbh ner fgnaqvat va na bcra svryq jrfg bs n juvgr ubhfr, jvgu n obneqrq sebag qbbe.

Default Island Game

If you find out where to find this or an emulator for this or even what company/computer system made/ran this, please let me know! I used to play this too and have been looking for this game for like a year with no success! Until now I couldn't even find a mention of this game. (And I KNOW the game was called "ISLAND"; it's too bad it's not a unique-sounding name that might be easier to find). Thank you!

--Amy

Default still looking...

Its been a while since anyone commented on this thread, but I have searched and searched for that game too. If anyone has found it I would love to know.

I used to play such a game, but I doubt if this is what you're looking for - this "Island" game I have was made in 1995, works under DOS, and its language is Polish.
    However, the intro to this game mentions it's based on some earlier "Island" game for C64 - perhaps this is where you should search?

I know the Johnny Castaway isn't it but I don't know if it was perhaps based on a game or anything? Certainly has most of the similarities other than just being a screen saver. Anyone remember any new details other than the OP like what hardware or operating system they were in when they played it? If it was really called Island or if just the exe was called island.exe?
    Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

Seeing other posts one person looking for a similar game said it was Schiffbruch (Shipwreck!) but another poster said that wasn't what they remembered.
    Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

Default Johnny Castaway

I think this is what you're looking for, if you still haven't found it...

http://johnny-castaway-screensaver.en.softonic.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Civic Protection View Post
    Back in grade school, we used IBM computers like the IBM PS/2 Model 25.
    This was in the early 1990's. They ran Warp OS. or something.

The game was called Island, and you were a dude who washed up on a tiny island, and you had to survive and make choices. You could collect water, catch fish, collect logs for a raft, sleep, and send messages in bottles.

You had to get off the island before 30 "game" days were up or a huricane blew the island away.
    You can die by getting eaten by sharks when you are out swimming to get planks, a pirate ship can find your message in a bottle and capture you, you can sleep too much and die, or you can starve to death.

Hopefully, all goes well and you get rescued bt a freindly ship before you get eaten, starve, captured or blown away.

I remembet it being keyboard based, and it being under a megabye. I could fit it on a floppy disk and sneak a copy home.

I have looked far and wide for this, I am dying to get it. Thanks