Image Map Image Map

Thread: Upgrading from a 486SL to a 486DX/DX4

Default Upgrading from a 486SL to a 486DX/DX4

I've on the way a Compaq LTE with a 486SL at 33mhz. While this is probably sufficient, I'd like to upgrade it with an IBM 486DX4 I have sitting around when it gets here. I realize that the 486SL runs on 3.3v and an ordinary 486 on 5v, but would this be a problem? Would the 486DX4 run on 3.3v? Would the bus of the laptop be capable of 5v? Am I crazy? :P

Blog Entries

Isn't the 486SL a soldered-in QFP? The DX4 is a PGA package. How are you going to do this?

Forgive me if I show my ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Isn't the 486SL a soldered-in QFP? The DX4 is a PGA package. How are you going to do this?

Forgive me if I show my ignorance.
    All of the 486SLs I have known are PQFP, so I think you've hit it right...

I didn't know.. Since my 486SX/DX laptops are all simple PGA I had assumed the SL would be as well. That's a shame.

It should be PQFP, but that doesn't make it an impossible upgrade. On 386SX motherboards I've successfully sliced off the chips using a utility knife, removed all of the old legs with an SMT soldering iron, and replaced the chip with a TI486SXL. The pin spacing on the 486SL should be the same as the 386SX, so I would say this procedure is doable. Naturally you'd have to be pretty confident in your soldering skills.

I'm planning to upgrade my TP750 with 486SL with an am5x86-133. There used to be businesses that did this.
    "Will the Highways on the internets become more few?"

V'Ger XT

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Coward View Post
    Naturally you'd have to be pretty confident in your soldering skills.
    That--and how are you going to go from a SL to a DX4?

More to the point, why? Why not just pick up a cheap used P1 if performance is important?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    That--and how are you going to go from a SL to a DX4?

More to the point, why? Why not just pick up a cheap used P1 if performance is important?
    Yes, it would only be for the internal clock multiplying - the 486SL has a math coprocessor on board. Really all it was is a low-power 486DX in PQFP design. It would be more interesting to me to replace a 386SX with a 486SLC2, or a PQFP 386DX with a 486SLC3.

The only point was to go from 33 to 100mhz.. I honestly don't need the power, I just love the i486 and would love to get a portable one that pushes the platform to it's limits. Pentiums are boring, heh. The box I'm getting runs Win95 as well, and if I had been able to get to 100mhz it would've performed a tad better.

I'll likely just stick plain DOS and maybe a Win3.x copy (just for a few progs/games) on the thing..

Quote Originally Posted by Raven
    I just love the i486 and would love to get a portable one that pushes the platform to it's limits.
    Ever thought about seeking out a laptop with a 486? Like one of the common Toshiba/IBM ones or the uncommon Compaq Portable 486?