Image Map Image Map
Page 13 of 95 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: Powertran Cortex

Default Tape Interface

Quote Originally Posted by antiquekid3 View Post
    I have a SWTPC 6800 with the tape interface, and instead of recording to a tape deck, I tried recording to my MacBook using Audacity. After recording, I exported the file as an MP3 into iTunes. I have had no problems so far reading an MP3 file and sending it to the SWTPC. I don't know if the Cortex uses the 300 baud Kansas City standard or not, but if it does, it's just having to distinguish between two frequencies, which aren't that hard to reconstruct from an MP3 file.

I think it'd be nice to have a website devoted to these sound files for different machines, along with the source code.

Kyle
    I don't know what standard the Cortex uses but I've got Audacity on my PC, so I'll give it a go - Thanks for the info

I'm going to try and get the rest of the documentation folks have provided up onto WHTech over the next few days. RL has been keeping me waaaayyy tooo busy of late. . .no time at all for my hobby.

After a careful look, I am now busy inputting the Cortex Fig-Forth manual pages into a single, edited document. I should have it finished before the weekend and then I can put it up on WHTech. The job and school had me waaaaayyyyy too busy this fall, but the tempo is down now, so I have time for my hobbies again

I wonder if NigeThe Hippy had any luck reading the ROMs for it?

roms- - I have done a bit, the eprom programmer is at this moment in pieces in front of me, it puts the right programming voltage on the right pin at the right time etc, but for some reason the 5v looks too low. I'm tracing through the pcb to work out why.
    I'm still too nervous to put the original forth eproms in the machine before it's 100%. There's a possible alternative (old school) solution on the near horizon, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
    "Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone" (BANG )

I put a nice PDF of the Cortex FIG-Forth manual up on WHTech today, along with instructions on using the TMD2797 Disk Controller chip, the TMD9929 RGB interface, and the V9938 mod. Many thanks to ANDYP and TMS9995 for taking the time to make the original scans. I took the FIG-Forth manual and redid it to make it the highest quality manual possible (like I did for the original Cortex BASIC manual a while back). I'll probably do the same for the MDEX manual next. . .

I'm now the proud owner of a decent 1980s eprom/pla/prom/uC burner, (Stag PPZ) with quite a few pods. I pick it up monday, apparently it nearly all works (although I can pretty well guarantee that the 2564 will lie just outside that nearly)

well as luck would have it, the chap tested it on a 2564, and it was fine
    I've uploaded the 2 forth roms, although I'm not sure what order they should go in (if at all) I suspect the "red" one is second as it's only 1/2 full.
    files attatched, in intel hex. (additional ".txt" added in order to upload)

Have a look, & see if it makes sense.

Incidentally, I'll get the 3 O/S roms going as soon as I've figured out why I'm not transferring data the other way
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by nige the hippy; January 18th, 2010 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nige the hippy View Post
    well as luck would have it, the chap tested it on a 2564, and it was fine
    I've uploaded the 2 forth roms, although I'm not sure what order they should go in (if at all) I suspect the "red" one is second as it's only 1/2 full.
    files attatched, in intel hex. (additional ".txt" added in order to upload)

Have a look, & see if it makes sense.

Incidentally, I'll get the 3 O/S roms going as soon as I've figured out why I'm not transferring data the other way
    Great news.

According to the original installation instructions, the eprom marked >0000 goes into SOCKET IC47 and the eprom marked >2000 into SOCKET IC46.
    From memory I think they are numbered - (very small in biro)
    I've had a look at your attached files but have to confess they don't mean a lot to me.
    I've got a copy of the memory map, I'll send this to you on seperate e-mail, it might help.

Can't seem to attach the memory map file as promised - Sorry.
    However, Ksarul has placed a copy of it on WHTech.

No chance to look at the memory map, but what you say now makes sense - I ought to rename the files, green is >0, red is >2000.
    And I've now written the OS eproms.
    I'll get them in the post ASAP.