Image Map Image Map
Page 7 of 96 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Powertran Cortex

Quote Originally Posted by Ksarul View Post
    I've got the complete internal logic for the 74LS2001--just not a bullet-proof identification of which pin each of those signals need to reside on. Some of it isn't used on the Cortex, which is why I was hoping someone had the signal listing for what belonged on which pin on the chip. With the signal name to actually designated pin position, I can design and program a true replacement for it. . .and then it will be around again. As a side note, there appear to be about 300 of them somewhere in Poland, assuming that they really are the same IC. . .I haven't gotten a response yet from the company that says they have them though, so they may be vaporware.

I'm glad you liked the inclusion of the cover. I have the Aug 1984 issue as well, I just need to finish the scans for it. It contains the rest of the Jun 1984 article along with the board layout for the parallel board.
    That's interesting you've got the internals. Tony's post of the E-Bus arbiter has a couple of signals missing (TO & TO EN) and you say yours has got more than the Cortex uses. May be there were 'levels' of arbitration, depending upon the system complexity? Anyway, care to post it for reference?

I put a copy of the patent data up on WHTech--diagrams 11a-11c are the Arbiter logic, effectively the 72LS2001 once I know the pin positions.

I also just uploaded the ROM source and dumps of the ROMs

Quote Originally Posted by Ksarul View Post
    I put a copy of the patent data up on WHTech--diagrams 11a-11c are the Arbiter logic, effectively the 72LS2001 once I know the pin positions.

I also just uploaded the ROM source and dumps of the ROMs
    I just had a quick look - that thing is as complicated as the Cortex! May be just implement Tony's from the E-Bus book and add in the Time Out Enable and Interrupt function

Quote Originally Posted by tms9995 View Post
    I just had a quick look - that thing is as complicated as the Cortex! May be just implement Tony's from the E-Bus book and add in the Time Out Enable and Interrupt function
    Went back in and took another look. I guess it's not that bad, but that's definitely the elusive 2001! It has 18 signal pins plus 2 power which is 20 and the Cortex PCB was designed for a 20 pin device! Awesome! Not sure if you can get a 20 pin PAL/GAL/CPLD with that number of latches and product terms?
    Last edited by tms9995; July 4th, 2009 at 01:40 PM.

I found reference to an E-Bus controller board someone had for sale a while back for 50 Pounds, so the chip may exist in some form.

If I have to design it into a larger CPLD, I'll just have to do a socket adapter that carries the correct pins down to the 74LS2001 socket. . .I may have to do that anyway, as VCC and Ground aren't where most chips would put them. . .two signals I have been able to trace to their conclusions.
    Last edited by Ksarul; July 21st, 2009 at 06:20 PM.

I added the Aug 1984 ETI article on the Cortex to the repository on WHTech today.

TMS9995's Cortex emulator is now up on WHtech along with a disk image for CDOS 1.20.

I've found some old polaroids of the very 1st Cortex (when it was called Synapse), they are not in brilliant shape but the I've scanned them and put them on flickr at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40753974@N08/

Thanks for those pictures Tony. Looks really weird with a different name on the front panel!

1) I see that it still had Powertran on it at that early stage, so I guess it was at the last minute the name was changed?

2) Who actually made the original? What I mean is that I expect you had it prototyped and working, but did you then send the design to Powertran and they made the PCB and enclosure?

3) Did the original firmware say "Synapse Basic Rev 1.1"?

4) Who came up with the font for the lettering and what's it called?

Many thanks for the great historical reference pictures, Tony! The Cortex Rules!