Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Hardware 101

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyCactus View Post
    .... did you have a specific question?
    i don't quite understand the "Intensity" associated with "more times data is
    stored into a location." Nyquist criteria specifies how often we should be
    sampling from a wave form. Where does intensity come in?

ziloo

Quote Originally Posted by ziloo View Post

ziloo
    Don't confuse Nyquist with digital oscilloscope sampling frequencies. Digital signals are composed of a lot of harmonics. Looking at a 10MHz digital CPU with a 20MHz sampling oscilloscope will tell you a lot of lies.
    The trick with sampling oscilloscopes is to either way over sample or recognize when you are under sampling any specific signal.
    Dwight

ziloo

you have to understand that its fake. its trying to aproximate something the cathode ray tube did by its function of operating. when the CRT gun crossed lit phosphor it made it brighter. people liked it. lcd's dont do it but people wanted it. so they approximate it software. where the wave would cross, they increase intensity (unless you have your display on rolling).

http://www.hit.bme.hu/~papay/edu/DSOdisp/gradient.htm

Nyquist applies when you are sampling a single waveform.

But a typical analog oscilloscope display is multiple waveforms overlaid on top of each other, aligned based on whatever trigger you have set.

In this case intensity is a measure of how many waveforms are lighting up a particular pixel on your screen. If only one waveform passes through a particular pixel it will be dim, while if many waveforms pass through that point the pixel will be bright. The brightness helps you see which waveforms are common (many occurrences -> brighter). It helps you differentiate the 'signal' from the 'noise'