Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: MFM controller for S-100

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Sounds intriguing all right; what's the make & model of the CP/M box and the drive?
    It was in a Tandberg TDV 2324 (Norwegian brand) CPM machine. I rescued the MFM HDD; the controller and the 8" floppy drive.

The HDD is a Rodime Series 200 , and the floppy drive is a Shugart.
    Current machines:
    PCs: IBM PC XT 640K, IBM PC XT 256K ,IBM PC XT , 2x IBM PC AT, Compaq Portable I, Compaq Portable II, Compaq Portable I/286, Philips Logic Analyzer XT clone, IBM PS/2 Model 30 286 , HP 95X, HP200LX (2x),Compaq SLT/286.
    Apple: Macintosh 512k, Macintosh SE, Macintosh Classic, PowerBook 170, iBook Clamshell, iBook G3,iMac G4 , TiBook's, Apple IIc, Many newer machines (G4, G5, Intel..), 20th Anniversary Mac
    Others: Commodore 64C,Amiga A500, CCS S-100 System, SNES,

Wanted: Macintosh 128k, Hard Disk 20, System disks and games for the Mac

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumII View Post
    Here's that card I mentioned... Seems to be MFM-to-SASI (Shugart) controller

Xebec controller
    Yup, just like the WD1000/1001--insanely easy to imterface to. The WD controllers used the Signetics 8x300-series bipolar controllers. You can probably still find the WD controllers within the TRS-80 community.

My first IBM 5150 hard disk was a Shugart SA1004 and a WD1001, hooked to a homemade interface card in the PC.

Ah yes; I've got the SCSI version of the Xebec MFM bridge. Never figured out what to do with it though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Ah yes; I've got the SCSI version of the Xebec MFM bridge. Never figured out what to do with it though.
    I've got a couple of OMTI RLL-to-SCSI cards somewhere. They're identified as having the "Mac SCSI" ROMs. At one time, MFM/RLL drives were cheap in comparison to SCSI drives. I think this sort of bridge card was useful as a money-saver. I used mine (wtih some external "glue" logic) to interface an Atari ST to an MFM hard drive.

Well, there's your "S100 MFM controller". SCSI isn't much more than a couple of parallel ports and software following a protocol definition, so it should be pretty straightforward to interface one of the SCSI-MFM bridge boards to an S100 parallel card.

Blog Entries

Default HDD as virtual FDDs

My IMS International system docs (1981) refer to an optional "hard disk sub-system" with removable cartridges in optional capacities of 32mB, 64mB and 96mB, in each case presented to CP/M as multiple "diskette drives" of 8mB capacity. No hardware or vendor standard is mentioned, but maybe that configuration suggests a Shugart-style controller (SASI)?

Does anyone have information/memories on that style of HDD sub-system?

The IMS system's FDC is Shugart-compatible card driving two Tandon 5.25 FDDs.

The FDC card does not have any connectors or headers other than the two 34pin FDD connectors, so I guess the HDD subsystem was driven from its own s-100 card, not from a daughter-board like the interesting XEBEC shown by MikeS.

So some kind of s-100 card must have been out there from around 1980 to as long as these machines were still running.

My puzzle is still - how to connect a NEC D3142 to a S-100 system.

Blog Entries

Your IMSI hard controller sounds like an SMD interface, not ST506 or SASI. Just a guess, however.

Yesterday I got the cover off my TeleVideo machine, and inside it had a similar adapter for connecting the HDD. Floppy connector (A flat one, you plug the floppy-end of the cable into it) in one end, and MFM hdd connectors in the other end.

Maybe they're quite common after all..

The TeleVideo is a multi-user Z-80 machine, but not S-100
    Current machines:
    PCs: IBM PC XT 640K, IBM PC XT 256K ,IBM PC XT , 2x IBM PC AT, Compaq Portable I, Compaq Portable II, Compaq Portable I/286, Philips Logic Analyzer XT clone, IBM PS/2 Model 30 286 , HP 95X, HP200LX (2x),Compaq SLT/286.
    Apple: Macintosh 512k, Macintosh SE, Macintosh Classic, PowerBook 170, iBook Clamshell, iBook G3,iMac G4 , TiBook's, Apple IIc, Many newer machines (G4, G5, Intel..), 20th Anniversary Mac

Hey, an update on the MFM S-100 controller.

I have here the Cromemco STDC, which is a S-100 bus ST-506 controller

This is exactly what you are looking for right ?

The link to the manual is here

It was in a pile of other misc cards I got from my haul.
    Current machines:

Blog Entries

Looks like it. I note that the documentation mentions no other OS except Cromix. Do you have any driver software for it?

Blog Entries

Default Cromemco STDC

The control and data cable connectors match the NEC D3142, but its hard to see how this card could run between CP/M and the NEC HDD. Unless Cromemco had a CP/M implementation for it with a different manual.

Even so, that Interrupt Priority Cable looks scary - is that a feature of Cromix-based systems or Cromemco generally? Not compatible with my system as far as I can see... Interrupts are all handled through the bus and system I/O card. This manual seems customized for a particular HDD with no other options.

Would there be workarounds?