Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gateway 2000 486

Blog Entries

Default Gateway 2000 486

*sniff* *sniff*

I'm missing my dads old Gateway 2000 486DX desktop. He upgraded that sucker with the highest RAM you could get, largest hard drive, and a cd drive replaced the 5.whatever floppy drive. Nothing like Windows 3.1 on a screen that takes 20 seconds to warm up, and is still a little fuzzy after that Keyboard had two sets of function keys, the row on the top, and a double row on the bottom, the arrow keys builtinto the keypad had UDLR and diagonal. *sigh*

Does anyone know where I could procure one of these systems? I am wanting a totally original system with keyboard and monitor. Would use it as a nostalgia system/webserver.
    [..RETRONET..] http://www.retro-box.net

IRC, FTP, HTTP and Quake!

Check us out (we have cookies)!

I haven't used a 486 in a long time. I would also like to get one sometime soon.

My oldest machine is a k6, and it runs DOS stuff well enough. I have it in my old 286's case, so it has the 'vintage' feel, but still not quite the same.

486 seems like the best point bridging the old and new systems. I had a '66 that ran all my old 286 and 386 games well, it could play descent and doom, and dual boot windows 3.1 and 95. 486 also gives you just enough power to make good use of ethernet and actually wander onto the internet. And the upside is you got full immunity to all the new viruses!

Are you looking for just the system/gateway 2000 machine or trying to find the exact same keyboard and monitor, etc. That keyboard doesn't sound like anything a Gateway would have (could be wrong) .. I barely remember some programmable/macro enabled keyboards with some but I think those were a separate vendor and purchase not the standard F1-12 keyboard.

I don't think I have one but I'll check in my garage. 486 is a bit too new for me still but it's neat knowing folks are interested in them.
    Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

Blog Entries

I'd like to see a picture of that Gateway keyboard. I have one of those computers, but don't think I've ever seen a keyboard like you've described.

Got my Gateway 2000 a few years ago from a school. They were going to throw it out because it didn't have a CD drive.

Blog Entries

Default That's the Anykey keyboard

Wikipedia has a nice picture of it. It was a very nice keyboard. I wish they had updated it for Windows 95.

The Gateway 486 computer I have suffered from corrosion, worse than any other computer of that age. I found it necessary to replace all the screws to slow the process.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barythrin View Post
    Are you looking for just the system/gateway 2000 machine or trying to find the exact same keyboard and monitor, etc. That keyboard doesn't sound like anything a Gateway would have (could be wrong) .. I barely remember some programmable/macro enabled keyboards with some but I think those were a separate vendor and purchase not the standard F1-12 keyboard.

I don't think I have one but I'll check in my garage. 486 is a bit too new for me still but it's neat knowing folks are interested in them.
    Keyboard is the Gateway AnyKey.

I'd mostly like to just find the system. I can get a monitor around here just by whispering. I'd just like a system that has a hard drive, maxed out RAM, floppy (3.5), and floppy (5.whatever). A system just like you would get out of the box. All I want is Windows 3.1. I'm really passonate about this computer, because it was the first computer I ever used. I grew up on it, but then a RAM chip failed, slowing it down to a crawl, and paint.exe got deleted, and my parents came to the conclusion that it took up too much space. They let me poke around inside (I was 8 and just cut wires with scizzors, and unscrewed every screw I could find), but it ultimately ended up in the dump.

I have an old system under my bed with a cd, floppy, and Colorado 350 tape drive just 'case it reminds me of that gateway. (Just looks nostalgic, full-tower 486 or Pentium, not sure which. Panel on front with Turbo and Reset and LCD screen)
    [..RETRONET..] http://www.retro-box.net

IRC, FTP, HTTP and Quake!

Check us out (we have cookies)!

see my 72 pinmemory testing post today
    I am using a slim 485 sx gateway 2000 desktop to test ram
    it has only two 72 pin ram slots.
    I see no reason why it could not taqke a 486dx2
    there is a zif socket. it seems to work properly.

the most I can pit in is 64 megs.

I have one of those! It's a P4D-66 tower Gateway 2000 with a 486 @ 66Mhz currently upgraded to Windows 95b Plus! Has Office, dBase IV, Ensoniq ISA sound card, 14.4k modem, LinkSys ethernet card (it's on my home Lan) 80MB of RAM, 3.5" floppy, 5.25" floppy, CD-ROM drive, a 1GB hdd and a second 1.5 GB hdd. It runs great, and ALWAYS has done, since we got it brand new in 1994 or so. It can get on the internet with IE 4.5 although a lot of websites are extremely slow due to the video ads etc. if not downright impossible to load. It's a real CLASSIC! Gateway 2000.JPG

mine has four tage. Model is a : " mini desktop
    486sx25 ( somehow I knew that) the printed ;abel on the back have faded letters `724565
    I looked for am unoficial gateway page. no luck.
    I would expect it to work with faster 486 chips that are the same voltage/.

Gateway 2000 systems rocked in the early 90's. Their cases were big and beefy and they generally used high-quality components. I made a YouTube video saluting a Gateway 486 tower system, and I've still got an ISO image of the original software installation CD-ROM if you need it.

And yes, the keyboard you mention was the Gateway AnyKey, which is also mentioned in the video. Great keyboard.