Image Map Image Map

Thread: Wives/Husbands & Girlfriends/Boyfriends

Default Wives/Husbands & Girlfriends/Boyfriends

Sorry if this is terribly personal - this is what Curiosity creates (stop now if you wish).

The Wives & Computers thread, inspired me to do this thread (except it has nothing to do with Computers - so I've put it here). The whole Wives thing I can understand (cause you're legally binded), but when a number of you started talking about your Girlfriends, this question sprang to mind - cause the definition of Girlfriends/Boyfriends & Wives/Husbands seems to be getting closer.

For instance, people have Ex-Girl or BoyFriends. Sure that maybe as old as the hills, but I used to think that People had a number of relationships, hence intermixing between people, that way you have a better chance of finding someone you want to be with for a long time. Generally, I found many people seem to go with just having one Girl or Boyfriend is the big trend, well that seems to be the case here. It springs the question as to why it is so? Cause I see it more like getting a job, you apply for many jobs, but some of them may not be what you'd expect & generally you'd sort though them & apply for the place you feel best with.
    Visa-Versa with the company who interview you may go though a series of applicants, until they find what they want. I used to see this a lot while looking for work & generally while I went though their interviews, it was annoying to see they did a lot of interviewing & came back with nothing, so advertise the position again.

But yeah, the While Girlfriend/Boyfriend routine seems to be more like a Wife/Husband thing nowadays with less Marrages occuring & people sticking with what there've got. What do you think?

Cheers,
    CP/M User.

It's not really THAT personal from a certain standpoint, as this is a very widespread thing going on.

Much of the reason why the ties are getting closer is because of what society thinks and not what the people involved think. People, most especially my age (22 and less) are brought to believe that every union is a sacred one, which is unfortunate because it makes the process of finding a decent husband/wife ever so much harder to the point that it becomes moot to even look for one. Few people, like me and a very tiny few others I know, don't really give a crap what other people think therefore end up being labeled as "players" or "pimps", which is unfortunate.

This labeling and mass of beliefs are brought to you by the same people who brought us N*SUCK and the hype over the supposed Y2K catastrophe, the mass media. It's suddenly cool to act more "grown-up" than you actually are, which makes life very difficult. Peer pressure, and other's expectations are what fuels the desire to "go steady" with one person weather they are good or not, few wise up and realize they don't want to settle, other's don't wise up and end up another statistic in the skyrocketing pile of divorces happening every year. I've watched it happen to all my friends and acquaintences, and it's actually, quite dis-heartening.

Basically, you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't. If you got lots of girls you are seeing, you're blacklisted as a playa, pimp, Don Juan, or some other screwy label. If you got one, you are labeled as someone good and decent, that is, until one gets angry at the other, then usually the woman comes running at you full of insults and artillery from what I have seen and been shown. Of course, that last little bit is also about another problem in this dealing with the feminization of society, but that's a whole other can of worms I'm not sure I want to get in to. Basically, society has changed for what the branwashed call "the better", when in reality, it's really a bunch of insecure overgrown kids frightened of having their heart broken. How do I know, because at one time, I was one.

Topic:Sigificant others
    CP/M User: Generally, I found many people seem to go with just having one Girl or Boyfriend is the big trend, well that seems to be the case here. It springs the question as to why it is so? Cause I see it more like getting a job, you apply for many jobs, but some of them may not be what you'd expect & generally you'd sort though them & apply for the place you feel best with.

In my case, being somewhat of an introvert, I never could get the hang of dating more than one person at once, that was enough complication for me.
    I alsways felt it better to stick with whatever relationship I was in, since I view "dating" someone new about as much fun as setting my hair on fire.

Mad-mike:If you got lots of girls you are seeing, you're blacklisted as a playa, pimp

Sounds like you're more of an extrovert, nothing wrong with that, I have noticed, though, when people that like to hang out with lots of other people, and date lots of people end up with introverts that really only focus on one person at a time, this usually ends up in disaster. I always thought when you didn't tell people you were seeing other people, and then later it comes out, that's where all the bad feelings came from.

patscc

Quote Originally Posted by patscc
    Topic:Sigificant others
    CP/M User: Generally, I found many people seem to go with just having one Girl or Boyfriend is the big trend, well that seems to be the case here. It springs the question as to why it is so? Cause I see it more like getting a job, you apply for many jobs, but some of them may not be what you'd expect & generally you'd sort though them & apply for the place you feel best with.

In my case, being somewhat of an introvert, I never could get the hang of dating more than one person at once, that was enough complication for me.
    I alsways felt it better to stick with whatever relationship I was in, since I view "dating" someone new about as much fun as setting my hair on fire.

Mad-mike:If you got lots of girls you are seeing, you're blacklisted as a playa, pimp

Sounds like you're more of an extrovert, nothing wrong with that, I have noticed, though, when people that like to hang out with lots of other people, and date lots of people end up with introverts that really only focus on one person at a time, this usually ends up in disaster. I always thought when you didn't tell people you were seeing other people, and then later it comes out, that's where all the bad feelings came from.

patscc
    Lol, actually, I'm quite introverted when not behind a computer talking on-line, or after I've gotten to know the person better. Yes it would be nice if I could find one person to stick with, but unfortunatley, I tend to have very sought after talents, skills, and possesions for someone my age. As much as it aids me, it hurts me too because a vast majority of women out there want the guy for what he has and not who he is. Someday I shall find the gem amongst metal shavings, but until then, If I am to look, I might as well take an active part in it.

Default Just to Revise

Just deleted some of the dribble I posted & to clean this thread up a bit, I
    simply had some more funny things to add in connection with people we
    all meet.

I was discussing this with a friend of mine some time ago in connection
    with people I knew in the past - I asked them what the odds were
    meeting with somebody you hadn't seen for years, I though the odds
    were large since it was quite a considerable distance from where we'd
    been. Originally I grew up in the country, but now live in the City (it's a
    big city Melbourne mind you & the country town I grew up at was a large
    regional city). IMO I thought the odds would be lower bumping into some
    you knew if I went back to the country - e.g.one year when I was up
    there - my Mother & myself bumed into friends we knew.

My friend thought that the odds of this happening where two people meet
    from quite a considerible distance (120 miles or so) is common, even if
    it's been many years after we finished school.

Funnily enough this happened to me many years ago (around 1993) when
    I was still living in the country. I came down to the city - did some
    shopping at one of the main shopping centres (pack with people) &
    happened to bump into one of the teachers I was having at the time (I
    was stunned then, just as I was stunned last year when I bumped into
    someone from the past).

Has anyone else had this happened to them?

CP/M User.