Image Map Image Map

Thread: Need price opinion on Atari 800/810/850 combo

Default Need price opinion on Atari 800/810/850 combo

Hi all,

Visited someone who had an Atari 800, 810 drive, 850 interface and lots of old software. The drive and computer have original boxes. Also had some Wico and Epyx joysticks.

Everything is in great shape cosmetically, well-kept, was told they work, and have Atari dust covers included.

I offered $200 but he wasn't interested. I was a little surprised since I didn't expect him to ask for more. From his tone he seemed like he was more in the $400 range, which I thought was absurd. Hate to play the ebay card, but even boxed 800's aren't going for that much, though they vary as ebay stuff does. An 800+810 combo recently went for a little over $100.

What's a decent price to offer for all that stuff, realistically?
    Latest Acquisitions: ADDS Envoy, Sun 3/50, Teletype BLIT, DECMate II
    Still Wanted: Ithaca Intersystems DPS-1, SSB Chieftain, Altos 2086, TRS-80 Model 16, Victory FACTOR
    Always looking for: AT&T 3B2's and UnixPC/3B1's.
    http://www.securix.net/retrotekvintagecomputers

Perhaps you do need to play the eBay card after all. Some people may put a higher value on their gear than the market really wants to pay. Of course the question is if the setup is for sale or if he just wanted to hear your bet. As long as he has no real intent of clearing up storage space so "IT MUST GO", he could ask a lot of money and see if someone is interested enough to pay that much. Actually you see this on the auctions sites too, an item clearly over priced but waiting for the right buyer.
    Anders Carlsson

Blog Entries

$75 should be enough, $200 is too much around here anyway (midatlantic usa area) for this.
    @ BillDeg:
    Web: vintagecomputer.net
    Twitter: @billdeg
    Youtube: @billdeg
    Unauthorized Bio

I agree with Bill.. well and everyone so far. I think $200 was high and a good deal. Even if it was an 800 and not an 800xl that's a high side price for the set of ware.

Maybe you can let the seller think about it and if they happen to do some research they'll find more normalized prices.
    Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800