Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: XTIDE Universal BIOS

Default XTIDE Universal BIOS

XTIDE Universal BIOS is now available at google code. Most up to date binaries, sources and wiki pages can be found there. XTIDE Universal BIOS discussion thread will remain here and i will always post here when new release is out.
    Last edited by aitotat; July 19th, 2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: XTIDE Universal BIOS is now available at google code.

Most excellent work!

I will probably have a chance to give this a shot tonight.

I'll be *extremely* impressed if you manage to squeeze CDROM boot and HD FDD support and everything else you've listed into an 8k image.

Is this the one that was mentioned somewhere in the big XTIDE thread as being suitable for putting in a spare ROM socket (like a network card) and providing for large drives on old systems with BIOSes that wouldn't otherwise support them?

yes, you could do that, provided you had a way of disabling the BIOS that the motherboard or plug-in card may be executing to support your hard drives.
    You don't want 2 hunks of software trying to talk to the same piece of hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by hargle View Post
    I'll be *extremely* impressed if you manage to squeeze CDROM boot and HD FDD support and everything else you've listed into an 8k image.
    At the moment about 4kB is used. HD FDD support must be kept minimal since FDD controller is far more complex than IDE controller. Minimal support would mean PIO transfers only and no support for 2.88MB drives or any other features that later controllers support. Even then i'm not sure that there will be enough space left. I'll try once the most important IDE features are implemented and tested to work.

I have no idea what CD-ROM boot would require. BIOS build-in setup is another thing that might never happen. 8kB should be enough for all the other features that i listed.

Quote Originally Posted by FishFinger View Post
    Is this the one that was mentioned somewhere in the big XTIDE thread as being suitable for putting in a spare ROM socket
    That is possible. At the moment there is no support for 16-bit transfers. I should be able to support them soon and after that XTIDE won't be required (but it is still useful as an EEPROM programmer even when no drives are connected to it).

Quote Originally Posted by hargle View Post
    Most excellent work!

I will probably have a chance to give this a shot tonight.

Is there any reason why a bigger rom could not be used, though of course you'd need to patch in another address line and possibly modify the decoder slightly.

aitotat, are you going to release the source ?

Cheers.

Phill.

Some people on this forum are so talented they probably could design a bank switching daughterboard that goes into the BIOS ROM socket and through some I/O location (?) switches in another block of 4-8K.
    Anders Carlsson

Quote Originally Posted by prime View Post
    aitotat, are you going to release the source ?
    I can send sources to anyone that wants it as long as any modifications will be send back to me. XTIDE Universal BIOS is written in 100% Assembly using Nasm syntax. It compiles with Nasm and Yasm (i recommend Nasm since Yasm has a buggy CPU directive).

Beta2 now available. Information can be found on first message of this thread.