Image Map Image Map
Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738 LastLast

Thread: XTIDE Universal BIOS

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    ..Is it possible to use the XUB in one of the optional ROM sockets on the 5170 motherboard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Krille View Post
    ..It depends on what address range the XUB will end up in and if the system BIOS will scan for option ROMs in that area. You might have to mod the system BIOS slightly if it doesn't scan high enough in the UMA.
    I pulled out a spare IBM 5170 type 1 motherboard i have, Burnt 2 Eproms with the AMI Bios and 2 Eproms with the XUB r591, Even bytes in U17 and Odd bytes in U37, Powered the board up and the XUB loaded fine, I had no drives connected.
    IBM1.jpg

Anyone fancy some work on the initialisation piece?

I have a Tandy 1400FD laptop. With r567, Tomi kindly added very late initialisation and this does initialise, however it doesn't boot (I'm sure it did, but hey). However the system BIOS doesn't seem to have fully initialised since setup hot keys and other stuff don't work.

Fast forward to r588 and the bios... doesn't initialise.

This part of the BIOS I have never really understood hence looking for any assistance out there! The laptop does have a hidden BIOS option to enable option ROM boot (ctrl-alt-insert then press f12, then its available via f10) however it doesn't make any difference. XTIDE-UB is operating at c800, where the stock IDE board option ROM would be.

Tomi added very late initialization in r552. In r567 I removed it from the official builds because it wasn't needed by most people. From the log;
    Code:
     * Renamed MODULE_VERY_LATE_INITIALIZATION to MODULE_VERY_LATE_INIT and removed it from the official builds.
    Since then there's been no changes to that part of the code as far as I can tell. If you want to try it with later revisions then you need to add MODULE_VERY_LATE_INIT to the build options in the makefile and then do a make. IIRC there was a problem with it (probably that it won't boot as you said) and I remember suggesting to try using another interrupt for TEMPORARY_VECTOR_FOR_SYSTEM_INT13h instead of interrupt 32h (in Int13hBiosInit.asm). Try one of the "user interrupts" in the 60h+ range.

BTW, I have the Tandy 1400FD BIOS and had started to disassemble it in order to investigate the problem but like most of my projects it fizzled into nothing. I'll give it another shot if you want but it might take a while (free time is scarce these days).

Hope this helps!
    Looking for a cache card for the "ICL ErgoPRO C4/66d V"

Thanks Krille, likewise I will test and report back.

I just finished building my third XTIDE card; the other two are in 5160s already. I think this one will go in an AT&T PC6300, also an 8-bit bus, but I may want to experiment with faster machines as I have '286, '386, '486 and '586 motherboards as well.

I got the kit from glitch and with it came an 8 Gb Industrial CF card which he was kind enough to pre-configure. If I use the card with the AT&T it will need to be partitioned as 4 x 2Gb.

But the real question - and the reason for posting - is which version of the Universal XTIDE BIOS should I program? The other two boards are running 1.x. Modem7 recommends 2.x, and I gather that there are versions as high as 4.x.

Suggestions?

Thanks for your replies.

-CH-

Personally i would go with the latest version r591 and see how you get on with it, http://www.xtideuniversalbios.org/binaries/ The 1x 2x 3x versions are years old. Be aware if your drive was set up using v1.1.5 and you reflash to r591 you will have to Re-partition, Format and re-install, Likewise if you tried r591 and wanted to go back to v1.1.5 for some reason you would have to again Re-partition, Format and re-install.

Quote Originally Posted by clh333 View Post
    I got the kit from glitch and with it came an 8 Gb Industrial CF card which he was kind enough to pre-configure. If I use the card with the AT&T it will need to be partitioned as 4 x 2Gb.
    Isn't 8 GB a little overkill for an XT class machine?

What all are you planning to put on it? 10,000 copies of Space Invaders?

I bet you could put a 1 GB (still overkill) card in that and make much better use of the 8 GB one elsewhere.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Blog Entries

Egad, another anemic x86 assembler!

Still can't rise to the level of a 50+ year old S/360 F level assembler taking 44KB on slow hardware. If you don't believe me, try implementing the OS "DD" assembly macro.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clh333 View Post
    I think this one will go in an AT&T PC6300, also an 8-bit bus
    Actually, it's a 16-bit bus as it's based on an 8086, not an 8088. However, this bus unfortunately swaps 16-bit reads, so you must configure your XTIDE card for 8-bit/slow/compatibility mode. Not all 8086s have this problem, but the M24/6300 is known to.

But the real question - and the reason for posting - is which version of the Universal XTIDE BIOS should I program?
    There are varying opinions. My opinion is that you should use the very latest version to get all of the bugfixes, and only if it doesn't work, you should start going down revisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Isn't 8 GB a little overkill for an XT class machine? What all are you planning to put on it? 10,000 copies of Space Invaders?
    Well, I've loaded my XT with 500MB of unique .ZIPs, all of which run on the XT, and having an extra 7G of space to unzip them in is nice. But yes, a 1GB or 2GB card is likely more appropriate for an XT-class system.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

Thank you all for your replies. I will look for the latest version.

As it happens glitch had only a 128 Mb as a smaller option, if I recall correctly, and I already have two of those. They are installed in the 5160s, whose HDs are still functional but who knows for how long.

While it's true that 8 Gb is overkill, 128 Mb is underkill in many instances. It's hard to find IDE drives in the 2 Gb range and if you do people want a premium for them, so on my DOS machines I have had to opt for larger HDs and partition them.

I mis-spoke when I said the PC6300 has an 8-bit bus. Fortunately Trixter understood what I meant.

-CH-