Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dimension 68000

I currently don't have an operational Dimension 68000 that isn't spoken for, but I have at least 10 chassis (cases), several motherboards, power supplies, floppy drives, etc. I'll make sure that I have a mobo with roms before I make any promises. The roms are the hard part, you see.

Technically, all the Dimension stuff that I have is new, as in it was never sold. It was the leftover stock from a local shop that was apparently doing R&D.

The mobo uses the 68000 processor. I do have Z80 and 8086 coprocessor cards. Also have RGB (quasi-EGA) and 512K ram cards.

The real sticking point is keyboards. I have a box full of never-used keyboards (20+ years old) still wrapped from the factory. Trouble is, the keys use a foam cylinder as part of the mechanism and the foam has dry rotted. If you should happen to find a keyboard with the same mechanism and good foam, it's not difficult to swap the cylinders. Can't substitute a different keyboard, Dimension expects 300 baud ASCII for keyboard input.

Software is no problem, I have everything that was supposed to come with a new machine, plus a few extra goodies.

Cases show just a bit of wear, mainly from poor storage conditions and being moved around.

My avatar is a scan of a Dimension floppy disk sleeve

I'll let you know what I come up with.

Kent

Default Is Dimension Dude Still Around?

Was going through some things in the CHM archives, and found that we have a machine and some documentation. Curious if there were schematics for the system around.

Wow - I missed this thread years ago, but I certainly remember salivating over the dimension when I was young - a miracle machine that could actually be a CP/M, Apple II, or even just a powerful 68K machine all in one!

Default Dimension Docs / Software / Firmware

http://bitsavers.org/bits/MicroCraft/

some floppy images

http://bitsavers.org/pdf/microCraft/

manual scans, pictures of the boards, and dumps of most of the firmware

I would like to find copies of the "Tool-Kit" (schems, rom, bios listings) to
    add to the archive, along with any other surviving software.

I know this is an old thread but there are only a few out there regarding this computer. I have a couple of questions:

#1 Does anyone know if the disk images mentioned above work when written to floppy? I tried to write them with an old 486 and so far haven't been able boot them in the Dimension.
    #2 Dimension Dude, are you still out there. I would like to purchase a copy of disks if possible.
    #2 Anyone have a Dimension 68000 keyboard for sale?

Thanks,
    John

I just answered #1 myself. Yes, the images work. I used Imagedisk to write and td0toimd to convert the .td0 images to imd. I successfully booted the Dimension 68000!!! Now looking for more images!!
    I was using a 1.2 Floppy to write them but that didn't work. Using a 360K drive worked perfect!

Now on to keyboard. The keyboard is 300 BAUD TTL ASCII. I will try a terminal emulator with a serial to TTL converter and if all works, I will try to make an adapter using an Arduino.
    I can't believe I am this close to playing with the computer I dreamed about when I was a kid.

- John

My posts are still have to be approved by the moderator so I don't know if this will show up before or after my last post about the disks booting.

SUCCESS!!! Well for the most part. Laptop running Putty with USB to TTL converter is working for the most part. I can type any letter or symbol even the shift equivalent is working. However, the Enter key only types a 2 on the screen. I'm thinking that with some ASCII mapping I could get this working and then port to the Arduino. WOW!!!

-John

Got the Arduino keyboard adapter working. PS/2 Keyboard to Arduino to TTL keyboard input on the Dimension 68000. This is going to be great. I still had the mapping problem. It took mapping the Enter key to Character decimal 138 to get a working Carriage Return. I still have more keys to figure out. It would really be helpful to borrow a working keyboard and record the ASCII codes. I will try to make a video in the next few weeks and post it to Youtube.

-John

This document has a list of keyboard codes in the appendix: http://www.textfiles.com/bitsavers/p..._0.00_1983.pdf. This file was probably at the links posted in previous messages.

As it's stamped preliminary, there may be different codes sent from an actual machine's keyboard.

Isn't the keyboard a keytronic 5151 or something? I don't know what makes me think that.