Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SD card reader for Kaypro?

Default SD card reader for Kaypro?

Has anybody made (or attempted to make) an SD card reader for Kaypro portables? After all the hassles of trying to get software on floppy for my Kaypros, I would love to be able to just load up an SD card and plug it in. There's a motherlode of CP/M software out there and it's frustrating as hell not to be able to play with any of it.

There are SD card readers for plenty of other 8-bit computers, such as Apple II, Atari 8-bit, C64/128 (Vic20?), CoCo 2/3, TRS-80 Model 100/102/200. Why no Kaypro?

Hi! I recall Sharkonwheels trying to get a KayPro GIDE project going a couple of years ago. Nothing came of it AFAIK. Certainly GIDE or something like XTIDE using a Z80 shim PCB would be possible. Then you could use IDE, CF, or those CF to SD adapters.

The KayPro's lack of a proper expansion bus hampers this somewhat but nothing that could not be overcome with a little finesse. IMO, there is nothing technically preventing this project from happening. Only a lack of will required to lead, organize, and manage it into reality. Those skills can be hard to come by though.

If you wait for someone else to do it then it will never get done. I wish you the best of luck with your project. Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Yes, given the popularity of the Kaypro systems, and the popularity of CP/M amongst older hard-core techies I had wondered this myself. I guess Andrew has answered the question. These things need a champion or a team of people to drive them forward. The planets haven't aligned to make that happen yet.

Tez
    ------------------------------------------------
    My vintage collection: https://classic-computers.org.nz/collection/
    My vintage activities blog: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/
    Twitter: @classiccomputNZ ; YouTube Videos: (click here)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Amiga500 View Post
    There's a motherlode of CP/M software out there and it's frustrating as hell not to be able to play with any of it.
    You can write Kaypro floppies on a peecee with a 360K drive and software like 22DISK.
    Sure it takes time, but most things do.
    I usually use an emulator like MYZ80 to try stuff out before deciding to write an actual floppy.

Andy

"It's a me-too, 8-bit machine with good graphics and a disk system nobody will support."
    -- Bill Gates, about the Sony SMC-70 with the new 3.5" floppy drives (InfoWorld; June 7, 1982)

Quote Originally Posted by tezza View Post
    These things need a champion or a team of people to drive them forward. The planets haven't aligned to make that happen yet.
    I'm willing to be "Executive Manager" and say meaningful manager-like (bullshit) things such as, "Hey guys, can we get moving a bit faster?" (...thereby increasing productivity...), but unfortunately I don't have any actual PCB design experience.

My experience is mostly theoretical. (...meaning: "made up")

Hi! You don't need any experience just the curiousity to start building some circuits. Try getting a breadboard and make a Z80 circuit with wires. A simple one like this one for starters:

http://z80.info/gfx/z80test.gif

You'll be building IDE adapters in no time. The circuit above could be adapted to an IDE interface by only adding inverters to a few of the 8255 pins using a 7404 IC. Since the KayPro supplies the CPU, RAM, ROM, and UART already its just a matter of adapting the software. There are many examples of 8255 to IDE interfaces with software on the internet.

Seriously, you can do this. Anybody can. Jump in and have some fun!

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Blog Entries

There are also ready-made SD to RS-232 lashups Since your Kaypro has a serial port, that might be an easy answer.

Default Likely SD reader for CP/M

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Amiga500 View Post
    There are SD card readers for plenty of other 8-bit computers, such as Apple II, Atari 8-bit, C64/128 (Vic20?), CoCo 2/3, TRS-80 Model 100/102/200.
    Yes, I have a SD reader for the TRS-80 Model 100 - the NADSBox What stands this reader apart from the others is that it is RS-232 based and will have XMODEM facility. This should be a solution for CP/M machines with RS-232 (have to be nearly all CP/M machines - surely)

Current price is $US 195 and currently only available from Club100.

I'm sure Ken will announce to the CP/M community when it's ready.

Philip

I already planned on getting a TRS-80 Model 100 (lost the damn auction, though) and I was going to get a NADSbox. It'd be great if I could also use it for my Kaypros!

Why are you having problems using diskettes?