Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NT 4.0 Service Pack needed

Blog Entries

Default NT 4.0 Service Pack needed

I just got Windows NT 4.0 on my AMD K6-2, and some software I'm wanting to run needs SP3 or higher. I can't find a download location on MicroSoft's website, so i was wondering if any of you had Windows NT 4.0 Workstation Service Pack 3 or higher?
    [..RETRONET..] http://www.retro-box.net

IRC, FTP, HTTP and Quake!

Check us out (we have cookies)!

Blog Entries

I must have some seriously crappy Googleing skills, because I was on Google, Boogle, Swoogle, Moogle, Shartrugle, all morning trying to find something. Thanks, though! Can't wait to instlall it!

Quote Originally Posted by TandyMan100 View Post
    I must have some seriously crappy Googleing skills, because I was on Google, Boogle, Swoogle, Moogle, Shartrugle, all morning trying to find something. Thanks, though! Can't wait to instlall it!
    I can reveal my secret "Jedi-google-skills"

First I googled for nt 4.0 sp6" which revealed alot of dead download links but one revealed the filename to look for: sp6i386
    So I googled again for that filename and voila!

Hope you get your system sorted now, NT4 is quite usable today....dual CPU support and better than win98SE imho

Quote Originally Posted by Amigaz View Post
    I can reveal my secret "Jedi-google-skills"

First I googled for nt 4.0 sp6" which revealed alot of dead download links but one revealed the filename to look for: sp6i386
    So I googled again for that filename and voila!

Hope you get your system sorted now, NT4 is quite usable today....dual CPU support and better than win98SE imho
    Remember to update the computer though, there are alot of patches that NT4 could use. NT4 is compatible with all versions of Iexplorer up to version 6 (MSFT dropped compatibility/support after that) and Firefox 2.0(just a heads up).

Quote Originally Posted by Dms12444 View Post
    Remember to update the computer though, there are alot of patches that NT4 could use. NT4 is compatible with all versions of Iexplorer up to version 6 (MSFT dropped compatibility/support after that) and Firefox 2.0(just a heads up).
    Don't forget to also install the "Post-Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6a Security Rollup Package (SRP)", after you've installed Service Pack 6a:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299444

This package contains a lot of security updates and patches that were released after SP6a.

And Dms12444 made a good point to mention Firefox 2.0: it's pretty much the most up-to-date browser you can run on NT4, which is important, since more and more major web sites (at least the consumer-oriented ones such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and most on-line Google applications such as Google Maps) are dropping support for IE6, but should still work fine with Firefox 2.x.

Blog Entries

Okay, thanks for all the info! I'm definitely putting 4.0 on my PI lappie when I get it as well. Looks to be a really useable OS!

Quote Originally Posted by digger View Post
    And Dms12444 made a good point to mention Firefox 2.0: it's pretty much the most up-to-date browser you can run on NT4, which is important, since more and more major web sites (at least the consumer-oriented ones such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and most on-line Google applications such as Google Maps) are dropping support for IE6, but should still work fine with Firefox 2.x.

Firefox 2.0 even runs on NT 3.51 which has (in my opinion) a much better interface. I just love the progman.

Quote Originally Posted by TNC View Post
    Firefox 2.0 even runs on NT 3.51 which has (in my opinion) a much better interface. I just love the progman.
    If I'm not mistaken, you can actually switch NT4 to the Program Manager interface, if you're really into that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by digger View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, you can actually switch NT4 to the Program Manager interface, if you're really into that sort of thing.
    That was one of the features of Windows NT 4.0, it was available in win 98 as well (of course win 95 too) and even 2000. Just type "progman" (without quotes) in run under the start menu.