Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: People who'd throw out hardware if they can't make a profit

Default People who'd throw out hardware if they can't make a profit

A Macintosh SE in untested condition recently showed up in one of my eBay searches. I watched it, to see if it'd get any bids at (what I thought was) a high starting price. It didn't, so I contacted the seller to see if it'd be relisted. Got this reply back:

I will relist the SE, but not with a lower starting bid. If I can't get
    at least $25.00 out of it, I'll thow it in the trash as it wouldn't be
    worth my time to sell and ship.

Thanks,
    <Name removed>
    Stuff like that really burns me.

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    A Macintosh SE in untested condition recently showed up in one of my eBay searches. I watched it, to see if it'd get any bids at (what I thought was) a high starting price. It didn't, so I contacted the seller to see if it'd be relisted. Got this reply back:

Stuff like that really burns me.
    Well, FWIW people like you who think everything should be free and that a person is not entitled to a measly $25.00 for the time, hassle and materials to pack and ship something like that really burn me... It's his stuff and it's his call after all.

Blog Entries

It shouldn't. Finding home for old gear is quite an undertaking and years may go by before you get a taker. Mac SEs aren't particularly rare in the universe of old gear. I understand the seller's point of view perfectly.

I dispose of old stuff on a regular basis. I've gone to listing things once. If there are no takers, the item is recycled (sometimes components are scavenged, sometimes not). I have no moral responsibility to hold out hope that someday, someone might want an item and be willing to pay to have it shipped.

I can understand not wanting to deal with eBay fees when trying to sell something that doesn't seem to gather interest -- I run a part-time (well, more like hobby) electronics store on eBay, selling components from a warehouse closeout. But if something won't sell after two listings, I usually try to give it away on the forums I frequent, or through craigslist, rather than just throw it away. If nothing else, it goes to our local YMCA, which recycles electronics and applicances so they don't end up in landfills.

I guess if you're a full-time eBay seller, you probably don't have time to do that with every little thing that doesn't sell. And no, I don't think everything ought to be had for free -- but one's time in packing and shipping something should be included in shipping and handling charges.

I'll toss stuff too.
    I try to give it away to someone who might need it (via the forum), but I'm not going to build a 500 or 1,000 sf addition to house a bunch of stuff I don't want or need, just so someone else, two years down the road, can have it for free.
    And that shipping and handling does cost money, even if you're using USPS provided supplies, and having USPS come pick it up.
    There's tape for the box, printing of the shipping labels (paper and toner), and your time to do all that stuff.

Yes, I agree on the others with this. It's frustrating to see items you want going for a song where the seller won't ship but you have to look at the seller's point of view. Packing and posting is a hassell. Even if the shipping fees will cover the time and effort spent, you may have better things to do with your time.

I've got a few items here which will go on our local TradeMe auction site soon. One of those is a broken Mac SE. I'll put it on the site for 50 cents, pickup only. I'll be lucky to get $2 at the most but I'm not interested in the money...if there is someone who wants it and can come and pick it up. Great. There is no way I will be shipping it though. Even if it was going, and I might get $20, I still wouldn't ship it. It's just not worth the effort.

Tez
    ------------------------------------------------
    My vintage collection: https://classic-computers.org.nz/collection/
    My vintage activities blog: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/
    Twitter: @classiccomputNZ ; YouTube Videos: (click here)

I saw a similar thing happen with a rare Atari 8-bit computer game (the cartridge version of "Spy Hunter"). It was listed for an already-outrageous $59.99 (or "Make Offer"). It didn't sell, so the seller relisted it for $79.99. Maybe the $13,000 Nintendo on eBay gave them delusions of grandeur. Overall, prices for old video games on eBay are arificially inflated. There is no way that loose Atari games that are not at all rare are worth $20 each.

Blog Entries

I can see the sellers point. I recently shipped a mac Classic II to a fellow collector and finding a box that was the correct size and packing it so it gets there in one piece is a pain (bubble wrap, foam padding etc NO PEANUTS). I get packages in every week and it is still hard sometimes to get usefull packing material so that I can ship out something once in a while. All that material costs money and takes up space. These days working people just don't have the time to get to the post office before closing for an item that they will not get much money for.

For small items that fit into the free flat rate boxes its not a major issue. You can print a shipping label at home and just dump it in a post office box (or at work) without having to wait in line or go out of your way.

If you ebay for a living you cannot afford to sell items that lose money or take too much time (away from profitable things). If you just want something gone and don't want it trashed (and don't do it too often) $.99 ebay auctions would work. I find giving things away on freecycle can be a pain with no-shows wasting your time.

The reality is quite a bit of common computer items end up recycled every day, there is no real need to save it all. If the rarities do not command some decent money then don't expect them to get saved either.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

With the rising prices I'm not surprised. many would find it too troublesome to go through the work and labor of shipping and taxes for minimal profit. Ebay, one of the major suppliers of computer stuff for collectors has fees that are usually extremely high, and many sellers loose profit if they do sell too low. There isn't much motivation to ship a vintage computer which under most circumstances will get less than $200 (often today under $100).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dms12444 View Post
    With the rising prices I'm not surprised. many would find it too troublesome to go through the work and labor of shipping and taxes for minimal profit. Ebay, one of the major suppliers of computer stuff for collectors has fees that are usually extremely high, and many sellers loose profit if they do sell too low. There isn't much motivation to ship a vintage computer which under most circumstances will get less than $200 (often today under $100).
    Thats just stupid. You are trying to tell me some people who probably average $10 an hour at work are not motivated to spend an hour at the most to box up and ship something they already have for $200 (20 hours of work plus they don't pay taxes)? I can understand a lawyer or doctor who makes $50 an hour not wanting to spend an hour at work boxing up a package to make a $10 profit ($40 loss), but most ebay sellers are not making a that much money.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems