Image Map Image Map

Thread: Interesting new portable addition

Blog Entries

Default Interesting new portable addition

I just got something rather interesting*: a Canon Notejet 486 laptop with a built in printer.

It doesn't have ink or a wall-wart (center-plus 10v DC, larger than most), and I'd really like to use this computer. It appears to've been used in an industrial setting, judging by the sticker that says "To be used only for corporate work in strict accordance with NWA policies and procedures".

And if I do get this booted up and working, what version of Windows would be best?
    [..RETRONET..] http://www.retro-box.net

IRC, FTP, HTTP and Quake!

Check us out (we have cookies)!

These laptops were sold during the height of the Windows 3.11 era, although with suitable amounts of RAM and hard drive space, it should run Windows 95 or 98 acceptably well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    These laptops were sold during the height of the Windows 3.11 era, although with suitable amounts of RAM and hard drive space, it should run Windows 95 or 98 acceptably well.
    Interesting, If you have enough RAM you may also consider early versions of NT (3.1, 3.5, 3.51) as well (remember drivers though). An interesting collectible, I dont recall seeing many computers with integrated printers.
    Last edited by Dms12444; February 21st, 2010 at 10:18 AM. Reason: removal of image

Blog Entries

Yeah, I think I found someone local who will give me a power cord, so on Wednesday I'll post back here with how much it is worth. That trackball/mouse think is interesting, I with I had one for the sake of completeness (it's PS/2, BTW). Computer still has a 40MB hard drive in it (I think that's the size) that probably has a still-wroking Win3.1 installation, so I should be good as far as drivers are concerned

Anyone have any guesses on how much a most likely rare machine like this is worth?
    [..RETRONET..] http://www.retro-box.net

IRC, FTP, HTTP and Quake!

Check us out (we have cookies)!

I have a working Canon Notejet 486.....are you interested in another one?

Quote Originally Posted by TandyMan100 View Post
    Anyone have any guesses on how much a most likely rare machine like this is worth?
    Less than $10. I picked mine up for a dollar, and it wasn't even a real dollar, it was a Canadian dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberian Fiend View Post
    Less than $10. I picked mine up for a dollar, and it wasn't even a real dollar, it was a Canadian dollar.
    Hey, hey... the way things are going, ours'll be worth more than yours soon

On a 486, I wouldn't run anything newer than WFW 3.11. Even on a sub-100MHz Pentium Win95 is a bit pokey. If that laptop has a 40MB hard drive, then you're pretty much limited to WFW 3.11 anyway. Not a problem - you can do plenty with 3.11, and it can interface with an XP machine through Network Neighborhood quite easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmd View Post
    I have a working Canon Notejet 486.....are you interested in another one?
    My friend just picked one up and I was jealous - how much you want for it, and does it have it's mouse, does it have ac adapter, and does the battery charge?
    More commonly known as "Yushatak" - www.yushatak.com
    Focused on 486 and Pentium Machines
    I collect All-In-One PCs and Keyboard PCs, especially Compaq.