Image Map Image Map
Page 109 of 111 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109110111 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1107

Thread: XTIDE tech support thread

Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    1002*8*32*512 / 1048576 = 125.25 Mb
    I am not sure what kind of proof that is. Explain! I connected it to my MAC through a IDE / USB bridge and dumped it using dd. It gave me a 131334144 bytes file. Now 1002 * 8 * 32 *512 is exactly that as well.

I did also run IDEINFO on the drive and it reported 1002 * 8 * 32. But it reported the sector size as 528 bytes which is quite strange. Total drive capacity is still 125 Mbyte according to IDEINFO.

Blog Entries

With a completely wiped CF card, fdisk/format on the XT-IDE+XUB always works, whereas trying to set it up on a different system and migrate it over is not guaranteed to work.

If you want this card booting in your XT-class machine, it shouldn't be touched by any other system at all until it is booting your XT first.

When you said a FORMAT /S failed, were you starting with a completely wiped CF card first?
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by MattisLind View Post
    I am not sure what kind of proof that is. Explain! I connected it to my MAC through a IDE / USB bridge and dumped it using dd. It gave me a 131334144 bytes file. Now 1002 * 8 * 32 *512 is exactly that as well.

I did also run IDEINFO on the drive and it reported 1002 * 8 * 32. But it reported the sector size as 528 bytes which is quite strange. Total drive capacity is still 125 Mbyte according to IDEINFO.
    I'd point you to an excellent article i read on the ins and outs of CF / Flash drives and geometries if i could remember where i read it but it was a while back and can't remember where it was now and forgotten most of it, Different PC's can give different / strange CHS values with CF,I've seen it many times before, I've never entered the CHS manually in to the XUB, Never needed to, Try completely wiping the CF and checking again, better still try Gdisk.

I've also never had to manually enter parameters. If that's the only way you can get it to detect a card, I'd suspect there's some problem with the CF adapter, CF card, XT-IDE, or some system incompatibility (e.g. port conflict), in that order.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    I've also never had to manually enter parameters. If that's the only way you can get it to detect a card, I'd suspect there's some problem with the CF adapter, CF card, XT-IDE, or some system incompatibility (e.g. port conflict), in that order.
    Right on. I've never had to setup a CF card other than FDISK to adjust the partition size and then FORMAT.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

I had some issues with "dirty" CF cards in my setup that persisted after a normal fdisk-format cycle (the format was visible but I couldn't boot it), but an "fdisk /mbr" solved that. Apparently a normal FDISK doesn't thoroughly purge the MBR for... reasons. This might just be an issue if the card previously had a DOS-like format on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    I had some issues with "dirty" CF cards in my setup that persisted after a normal fdisk-format cycle (the format was visible but I couldn't boot it), but an "fdisk /mbr" solved that. Apparently a normal FDISK doesn't thoroughly purge the MBR for... reasons. This might just be an issue if the card previously had a DOS-like format on it?
    Maybe. Again, though, first step should always be to destroy old formatting with WIPEDISK or similar. Doing anything else is asking for problems. Why skip it? It takes a few minutes at most.

Oh, by all means I wasn't saying wiping the disk was a bad idea, simply noting what seemed to work fine for me to turn a non-bootable disk into a bootable one. Haven't had any obvious problems since.

I would *hope* that when DOS formats a disk partition it explicitly writes every data structure it cares about instead of depending on particular sectors or whatever being pre-zero-ed or otherwise virgin... but I suppose the fact that FDISK doesn't seem to clean house entirely when you delete existing partitions and create new ones means DOS just can't be trusted to make the bed properly if it's already been slept in.

Yeah, something is clearly left behind. a FDISK /MBR will often get it, but especially if the CF/disk/etc. has been used on something really modern, there's the potential for "leftovers" at the beginning of the disk that can cause problems with DOS's partitioning and especially boot code. This problem is even greater with older versions of DOS, in my experience. I don't bother with anything other than WIPEDISK, or more often `dd` under Linux/*BSD. I just want to try and make it clear to folks that, even if someone else one time got away with just a FDISK, or if FDISK /MBR fixed it once for someone, that really if you want to eliminate the partition/format step as a source of error, you need to use a tool like WIPEDISK to destroy all old formatting information. I've had countless folks email me insisting "but my friend did it this other way and it worked for them!" which, for whatever reason, seems to be all the proof they need not to try WIPEDISK!

I've made no attempt to analyze these "leftovers" as the problem is solved 100% of the time by destroying the old partition/format data.

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    ....the problem is solved 100% of the time by destroying the old partition/format data.
    Yep, DOS's FDISK can be unreliable and FDISK /MBR, When starting afresh i automatically do a full wipe every time.