Image Map Image Map
Page 99 of 99 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899

Thread: XTIDE tech support thread

1. Default

Hi all,

I've just assembled a GlitchWrks rev4 XT-IDE kit. I'm using a SD card to IDE adapter from Sintechi and the machine is an IBM 5160. I know this is not a usual setup but I see no reason it should not work based on what I have read.

So...
    The PC boots fine and shows the XT-IDE Bios.
    It shows the SD card adapter as HDD 0x80. "Sintechi SD to CF Ad...".
    FDISK allows me to create a partition but after rebooting the disk shows as 3 garbage characters in the BIOS boot screen.
    However... if I look at the SD card in my Mac - I can see it has been partitioned with FAT12.
    If I boot from floppy only FDISK acknowledges the drive, I cannot format it.

I've tried using VirtualBox to create a bootable DOS 5.0 card 32MB or 128MB. They are not accessible either.

I can't see any issues with the soldering on the card. Can anyone recommend some more steps for troubleshooting. The issue I have is that I only have a PC DOS 3.2 disks, it has debug so I can attempt to test via Int 13h perhaps?

I have tried every address but still can't get it to work. I used a program called UMBiNFO and it shows nothing in D000 except the XT-IDE ROM. But thing is something is there. I boot and format the CF connected to the XT-IDE If I try to load a device drive from the CF or program all I get is garbage scrolling on the scree. So I am at a loss. I have tried every address from C800 to D000

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by videofx View Post
    I have tried every address but still can't get it to work. I used a program called UMBiNFO and it shows nothing in D000 except the XT-IDE ROM. But thing is something is there. I boot and format the CF connected to the XT-IDE If I try to load a device drive from the CF or program all I get is garbage scrolling on the scree. So I am at a loss. I have tried every address from C800 to D000
    I think you may be confusing ROM Address with IO Address. As seen on the linked page here, http://minuszerodegrees.net/xtide/re...ctionality.jpg SW1 selects the IO address with a default of 300. A range from 200 through 3F0 can be selected but you must reconfigure and reflash for each change as mentioned before. Also, you may need to try a different version of the XTIDE BIOS. It would be helpful if someone with experience with an XTIDE in a computer like yours would chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by do_retro View Post
    Hi all,

I've just assembled a GlitchWrks rev4 XT-IDE kit. I'm using a SD card to IDE adapter from Sintechi and the machine is an IBM 5160. I know this is not a usual setup but I see no reason it should not work based on what I have read.

So...
    The PC boots fine and shows the XT-IDE Bios.
    It shows the SD card adapter as HDD 0x80. "Sintechi SD to CF Ad...".
    FDISK allows me to create a partition but after rebooting the disk shows as 3 garbage characters in the BIOS boot screen.
    However... if I look at the SD card in my Mac - I can see it has been partitioned with FAT12.
    If I boot from floppy only FDISK acknowledges the drive, I cannot format it.

I've tried using VirtualBox to create a bootable DOS 5.0 card 32MB or 128MB. They are not accessible either.

I can't see any issues with the soldering on the card. Can anyone recommend some more steps for troubleshooting. The issue I have is that I only have a PC DOS 3.2 disks, it has debug so I can attempt to test via Int 13h perhaps?
    I'd test the card with a spinning hard drive or CF in an adapter first to make sure the R4 card is working as it should in your 5160, I think there has been a few threads on here in the past where people have used a sd card adapter and couldn't get them to work, Lo-tech did some testing a while back using an SD card adapter with the lo-tech ISA CF adapter and it seem's dependent on the chip used as to whether they work or not, I have a couple of Glitch's R4 cards and they work fine but i don't have any and have never tried to get an SD card adapter working.

Zap the SD card with WIPEDISK or similar first. Typically, if you are able to see the partition but not boot from it, it's leftover garbage from the previous partitioning setup.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    Zap the SD card with WIPEDISK or similar first. Typically, if you are able to see the partition but not boot from it, it's leftover garbage from the previous partitioning setup.
    Hi glitch, Iíve done that and I can confirm that the partition on the card was definitely created by the XT IDE. In one case last night I was also able to write data that looks fine too. But it is extremely intermittent. I have to reboot many, many times and eventually it seems to then just work fine until I reboot again?!

The card is excellent quality and I know itís either my assembly skills or the non standard SD card adapter. But it would be great to rule out he former before I have to go buy a CF card. Is there anything else you would suggest?