Image Map Image Map
Page 98 of 101 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101 LastLast

Thread: XTIDE tech support thread

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    A quick Google search shows there is almost no information out there on the Internet about the Kaypro XL. It would be great if you could start a seperate thread here describing more about your Kaypro XL with photos and such.

One google books result does suggest that this machine can be expanded to 768k RAM. If this is anything like the way the Kaypro 2000 works, it will map 128k of RAM in to the Upper Memory Block from D0000 to EFFFF. This means it might not map BIOS extension ROMs in to that area, even if the machine has less RAM than that.

So the first thing to check is to use DEBUG or similar to make sure the XT-IDE BIOS ROM is getting mapped in its entirety in to the memory area the card is set for. If not, try setting it for some other memory area.
    I found the docs for the dip switch settings. You are correct in that it can be set for 768K. However the dip switches are set to 640K, so I went into debug like you suggested and here is what I see at D000
    Attached Images Attached Images

you were right! it was the 768K causing the problem. Once I found the correct dip switches and set it to 640K, the XT-IDE bios appears. Now I was able to disk and format. I created an 80mb partition. When I try to boot from the XT-IDE bios it says" booting from Hard Drive 80h>>>80h ...boot sector found" and locks up. I can boot dos from floppy and still have have access to C just can boot from it

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    A quick Google search shows there is almost no information out there on the Internet about the Kaypro XL. It would be great if you could start a seperate thread here describing more about your Kaypro XL with photos and such.

One google books result does suggest that this machine can be expanded to 768k RAM. If this is anything like the way the Kaypro 2000 works, it will map 128k of RAM in to the Upper Memory Block from D0000 to EFFFF. This means it might not map BIOS extension ROMs in to that area, even if the machine has less RAM than that.

So the first thing to check is to use DEBUG or similar to make sure the XT-IDE BIOS ROM is getting mapped in its entirety in to the memory area the card is set for. If not, try setting it for some other memory area.
    I want to thank you for the help. You solved my problem. Once I set the dip switches on the Kaypro to 640k the XT-IDE BIOS came up. After that I had some other issues and the CF would not boot, You get message boot sector found and the computer would hang.

The way I fixed was as follow:

1. I used wipedisk
    2. Booted with DOS 3.3
    3. Fdisk to create 30mb partition
    4. Format /s to create bootable system
    5. boot from DOS 5 and run FDISK /MBR (This is what actually fixed my problem)

Now it boots to the C: prompt!

Thanks to Glitchworks for my card only $35 with shipping and only took me 1 hour to assemble

OK now I don't know what's going on. It would boot before but now after powering of and powering on it wont boot and doing FDISK /MBR has no effect.

Could it be the CF card?

I used wipe disk, and fdisk, then format /s and can not get the card to boot, I can access the hard drive or CF card as drive C but can never boot from the hard drive. I use FDISK /MBR and then I get missing operating system or it just hangs on reboot. I have tried the XT-IDE in my IBM PC XT and I have the same problem as I do in the Kaypro. Can access as drive C but can never get it to boot from the XT-IDE. I have tried PC DOS 3.3, Compaq DOS 3.31 and MS-DOS 5.0 and same thing. Cant boot from the XT-IDE

Blog Entries

Are you setting up the card outside of the XT you're trying to boot it in? If so, don't -- boot from floppy with the card+CF installed in the XT, and try to set it up from there.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

I finally got it working 100% in my IBM PC XT but can not get it to work in my Kaypro with an IDE harddrive 80MB or 8 GB CF. In the Kaypro when you try to format you get bad partition table when the format is complete. Thats with the CF. Then if I try the 80mb IDE HD, after format completes but before system files transferred I get DIVIDE OVERFLOW

Blog Entries

Have you tried other IO Addresses for the XTIDE? You might have a conflict causing trouble. Keep in mind that if you do change the IO Address, you'll need to reconfigure the Xtide bios with xtidecfg.com after changing the dip switch on the card.
    Last edited by ibmapc; November 11th, 2018 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ibmapc View Post
    Have you tried other IO Addresses for the XTIDE? You might have a conflict causing trouble. Keep in mind that if you do change the IO Address, you'll need to reconfigure the Xtide bios with xtidecfg.com after changing the dip switch on the card.
    I have tried all the other addresses but I have not reflashed at those addresses.

So let me get this straight. If I change the dip switches on the card I have to flash at that address also? I can't just change the dip switches to that address?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by videofx View Post
    I have tried all the other addresses but I have not reflashed at those addresses.

So let me get this straight. If I change the dip switches on the card I have to flash at that address also? I can't just change the dip switches to that address?
    It depends on which address you change. The address for the Eprom can be changed without re-flashing. But, if you change the IO Address you must reconfigure and re-flash to tell the bios where you have set it.