Image Map Image Map
Page 111 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1110

Thread: XTIDE tech support thread

I'm not sure if this thread is the right place to report on device compatibility, but I just wanted to put it out there that I recently tested a 44-pin laptop IDE to SD converter equipped with an "FC1307A" bridge chip against my homebrew 8-bit XTIDE card and it seems to work fine with the current BIOS release. The exact device seems to be sold under a multitude of brand names, here's the Amazon listing for the one I bought.

(The card is part of a custom board set but but essentially replicates an XT-CF-lite v2b, IE, it's the 8-bit only IDE subset that doesn't work with most "real" hard drives.)

I'll probably be doing some more extensive testing on it in a few weeks after running off a board that has the 44 pin laptop header directly on it, but through a sort of Rube Goldberg cable setup I was able to fdisk/format a 2GB SD card with DOS 5.0 and it passed Check-It 3.0's disk diagnostic.

Yes i have one of those and a couple of 40 pin models with the FC1307A chip, They work very well with my XTIDE cards, Though they do not work when connected to my lo-tech isa - cf card, i posted about them a while back, I like em.

On the rev 4 schematic... http://minuszerodegrees.net/xtide/re...015MAR2018.pdf

Down about area D-1 way down at the bottom left of the schematic, in the ROM area, we can see that the resistor pack is pulling D7 low. What is the purpose of this?

Thanks!
    -- Lee

May Be Interested In Acquiring: Mac IIsi, Quadra 840AV, Commodore PC(286+)/64C/128D, PC-era Tandy stuff, Peculiar Old Serial Terminals.
    Old Computer Fun! (Muh Projects Blahg) | Muh YouTube Channel that goes with it

Quote Originally Posted by bladamson View Post
    On the rev 4 schematic... http://minuszerodegrees.net/xtide/re...015MAR2018.pdf

Down about area D-1 way down at the bottom left of the schematic, in the ROM area, we can see that the resistor pack is pulling D7 low. What is the purpose of this?
    I believe it's in the ide standard to do it to help detect if there are no devices present; I don't know if xtide relies on it but I went ahead and included it in my XT-CF rev.2- equivalent card.

I wonder why it's part of the ROM area. I was under the impression that populating the ROM area was optional. But if RP2 is left out, and that connection really means D7 on the IDE connector rather than D7 on the rom or something (which they surely don't mean, because that would be very strange, which is why I was asking lol), then things wouldn't work, eh? Why not use one of the unused pins on RP1 instead?

You say you tied yours to the IDE D7 line, where those latches circle into each other?
    -- Lee

May Be Interested In Acquiring: Mac IIsi, Quadra 840AV, Commodore PC(286+)/64C/128D, PC-era Tandy stuff, Peculiar Old Serial Terminals.

Quote Originally Posted by bladamson View Post
    I wonder why it's part of the ROM area. I was under the impression that populating the ROM area was optional. But if RP2 is left out, and that connection really means D7 on the IDE connector rather than D7 on the rom or something (which they surely don't mean, because that would be very strange, which is why I was asking lol), then things wouldn't work, eh? Why not use one of the unused pins on RP1 instead?
    In the 'optional Boot ROM' of the diagram is a note that includes, "RP2 always required, or 10K resistor between pins 1-2".

Yes, the diagram would have been 'cleaner' if RP1 had been used instead, or RP2 moved to outside of the 'Optional Boot ROM' box.

Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    In the 'optional Boot ROM' of the diagram is a note that includes, "RP2 always required, or 10K resistor between pins 1-2".

Yes, the diagram would have been 'cleaner' if RP1 had been used instead, or RP2 moved to outside of the 'Optional Boot ROM' box.
    Aha, very good. Thank you.

Apparently I need to learn to read. XD
    -- Lee

I cannot find any documentation for the RS232 port pinout on a Rev 2 XTIDE board. Can anyone point me to the appropriate pictorial or information?

Quote Originally Posted by shirsch View Post
    I cannot find any documentation for the RS232 port pinout on a Rev 2 XTIDE board. Can anyone point me to the appropriate pictorial or information?
    I never fitted the components for the serial port on my R2 cards, There is some info here on the serial settings https://retrobrewcomputers.org/n8vem...20settings.png bottom right.

Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    I never fitted the components for the serial port on my R2 cards, There is some info here on the serial settings https://retrobrewcomputers.org/n8vem...20settings.png bottom right.
    Thanks - I have that diagram and managed to completely miss it. Interestingly, if that's correct then the schematic is wrong. By tracing the PCB layout from the schematic, RTS and CTS end up reversed when you do so. But I think the diagram is correct. If you crimp a 10-pin header and an IDC style DB9 on a ribbon cable, the latter ends up with a classic "AT" style serial connector pinout.