Image Map Image Map
Page 92 of 95 FirstFirst ... 42828889909192939495 LastLast

Thread: XTIDE tech support thread

what is the purpose of the green LED on the board? it comes on when i plug in some drives but not others. Sometimes it comes on for a little bit and turns off, sometimes it stays on the entire time,

It's the drive activity LED, It should come on when the drive is being accessed and go off when there's no drive activity.

I think im about to give up on this card. I've spent a few late nights trying everything i can possibly think of to get it to work. I replaced a few of the chips. Mainly the both 74LS245's and the 004's, mainly cuz i harvested them off a old motherboard. Still no dice.

Im on firmware 1.1.15, and set to compatibility jumpers to the 1-2 position. Starting to get super frustrated.

So i've replaced every single IC on there except for the two 688's, which i cannot find locally. Are either of those used for the IDE circuit?

Quote Originally Posted by sev View Post
    So i've replaced every single IC on there except for the two 688's, which i cannot find locally. Are either of those used for the IDE circuit?
    Only the 74LS688 at U10 is used for the ROM, the other is part of the IDE circuit.
    My Retro Collection:
    CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
    Mac's: SE, LC630 & Beige G3
    PC's: K6-III+ 500 System + Roland MT-32 & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
    Visit my Tindie store for Tandy 1000 Adapters for EX, HX, SX, SL, TX & TL etc

Blog Entries

In my XTIDE, I grabbed a 74HC688 out of my parts bin. Worked just fine, even though I had my doubts.

HC stuff will often work, especially the mil-spec (54HC series) stuff, but yeah, it doesn't officially meet spec, and may introduce its own source of trouble. You can use 74HCT or 74ALS without issue.

Blog Entries

Yeah, HC stuff has CMOS input levels, so Vil is around half of Vcc or less, for design purposes. I use sockets and that's what I had on hand. Worst case, I'd have to get some HCT or LS/ALS stuff, but that proved to be unnecessary.

I have an XTIDE Rev 4 card. Does the SW2 dip switch at position 8 (WR) need to be ON to flash the bios?
    I am flashing the IDE_AT.BIN bios for my 286.
    Is there some link to find the default Dip switch settings for this card?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by jhaninger286; April 21st, 2018 at 04:06 AM.

Welcome to these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by jhaninger286 View Post
    I have an XTIDE Rev 4 card. Does the SW2 dip switch at position 8 (WR) need to be ON to flash the bios?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by jhaninger286 View Post
    Is there some link to find the default Dip switch settings for this card?
    1. Goto http://minuszerodegrees.net/xtide/XT...%20general.htm
    2. Click on 'REVISION 4'
    3. 'Switch/jumper settings' section