Image Map Image Map
Page 103 of 108 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1072

Thread: XTIDE tech support thread

Hey guys a friend gave to me a 512MB CF and it works perfectly! I dont have 2GB CF to test so i cannot say if it works with it but surely 512MB with Olivetti M240 + PIO 8 mode (BIU Offload) it works perfectly.
    I already installed MSDOS 6.22 and it boots

Thx for your help

2. Default Lo-tech XT-CF 2.0.0b3 (2013-10-22) Serdrive Issues

Hi folks. I really hope someone can help me out here. I picked up a Lo-tech XT-CF card from eBay and am having some issues getting it to boot from a virtual serial drive. F6 ComDetect doesn't work and I have to hold the Alt key to get it scan the COM ports - but I think that's a known issue with the version of XTIDE on this card. I can't flash a newer version since I don't have any way to transfer them to a 5.25" or 3.5" 720K bootable disk - yet. I do have an external USB 3.5" floppy drive on the way that supposedly can write 720K disks but it won't he here for several days.

My subject machine is a Corona/Cordata PPC-400 PC-XT 8088 compatible with 512K RAM. I'm using the onboard DB25 serial port connected via a DB25<-->DB9 null modem cable to a DB9 USB serial port adapter on my Win 10 laptop.

I'm able to run serdrive from an elevated command prompt no problem. It opens the serial port and happily awaits a connection.

On my client I hit Alt during POST and it correctly enters COM detect mode, showing the Master/Slave at COM detect: (imagename.img/baudrate) message. The image file name and baud rate match what I have set on the server side. All good so far, until it tries to boot from the virtual drive. At this point I get one of two messages:

1. If using a FreeDOS image file, I get "FreeDOS" displayed on the client, then nada. It hangs until I reboot.
    2. If using an MS-DOS image file, I get "Non-System Disk or disk error / Replace and press any key when ready".

Also worth noting is that just as it's attempting to boot from C>>C (redirected virtual drive I assume), physical floppy A activates for a moment just before the Non-System disk or FreeDOS is output. Not sure if that is "normal" behavior for the physical floppy to activate or if that is symptomatic of my problem.

Verbose logging on the serdrive side essentially shows the following:

Received: [ 0:a0] [ 1:a0] [ 2:01] [ 3:01] [ 4:fe] [ 5:0c] [ 6:11] [ 7:31]
    Inquire 0: Client Port=0x3f8, Client Baud=9600
    Sending: [bunch of data I can't decipher]
    Received: [ 0:a0] [ 1:b0] [ 2:01] [ 3:00] [ 4:fe] [ 5:0c] [ 6:fc] [ 7:22]
    Inquire 1: Client Port=0x3f8, Client Baud=9600
    No slave drive provided
    Received: [ 0:a2] [ 1:a0] [ 2:01] [ 3:01] [ 4:00] [ 5:00] [ 6:0a] [ 7:02]
    Read 0: Cylinder=0, Sector=1, Head=0, Count=1, LBA=0
    Sending: [bunch of data I can't decipher]

After that - nothing until I reboot and try again and the same pattern repeats. I've tried multiple disk images from multiple versions of DOS, tweaked serial port settings on my laptop (disabling FIFO buffers, disabling DTR/RTS INIT) but nothing has helped.

Any experienced advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

PW

Blog Entries

Right off the bat, don't use FreeDOS unless you are 100% positive the distro you're using works on 808x systems. Most FreeDOS distros do not, so just stick to MS-DOS for your testing.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

I tried using the AT and ATL builds that come in the distro today on an Everex Tempo 386sx. They both load correctly and detect and boot from the CF card, but they make the floppy drive no longer appear in checkit, and DOS loses the ability to format a floppy as well.

I switched to the XT+ build (after using the config utility to set it to 16-bit mode) and it works perfectly, no issues with floppy.

This is the second system I've tried an 'AT' build on that has exhibited strange problems, unfortunately I don't remember the specifics of the other system's issues.

From my limited testing, I've found the various more-than-XT builds to be about the same performance as the regular XT builds, especially when using the XUB with a 16-bit controller. I haven't done any sort of extensive testing, just a friend and I were curious about it and goofed around with both the v1.1.5 release and 2.x series on an XT with XT-IDE, 386 with XT-IDE, and 386 with 16-bit multi-I/O card.

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    From my limited testing, I've found the various more-than-XT builds to be about the same performance as the regular XT builds, especially when using the XUB with a 16-bit controller. I haven't done any sort of extensive testing, just a friend and I were curious about it and goofed around with both the v1.1.5 release and 2.x series on an XT with XT-IDE, 386 with XT-IDE, and 386 with 16-bit multi-I/O card.
    so you don't think it would be worthwhile to build the newest (final?) commit on google code and include the 386 instructions?

oddly with the beta 3 release I noticed better DISKTEST results with the XT+ build vs the AT build

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    Oh, don't use the stuff off Google Code, that's way out of date! You want:

http://www.xtideuniversalbios.org/
    Aha so it is still being maintained! I see the latest source on there, but what about the binaries? Have there still been no releases since ver2 beta3?

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    Aha so it is still being maintained! I see the latest source on there, but what about the binaries? Have there still been no releases since ver2 beta3?
    there has been lots, http://www.xtideuniversalbios.org/binaries/ r602 is the latest

Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    there has been lots, http://www.xtideuniversalbios.org/binaries/ r602 is the latest
    Wow thanks. Either I'm blind or there is literally no mention of that page elsewhere on the site