Image Map Image Map
Page 110 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110111 LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1110

Thread: XTIDE tech support thread

Does anyone know if the XT IDE has some sort of fundamental conflict with the DTK PII-151B?

The DTK card is for 1.44/1.2MB floppy support on the XT/PC and other 8 bit ISA only systems.

Whenever I try to use them both together, the XT IDE totally fails to boot off the floppy attached to the DTK.

When I use the XT IDE with the original XT floppy controller, works great.
    Looking For:
    IBM PS/2 8595 Motherboard
    MCA sound card (will pay big bucks)
    IBM PC Server 720/others

Not that I'm personally aware of, though you may have a ROM conflict between the two controllers (the original XT controller didn't have onboard ROM, so no potential conflict there).

It's not the XT-IDE, It's a known problem with some HD floppy controllers when used in the XT 5160 with the latest bios, Unable to boot from 1.44M floppy disks. 720K should be fine. http://minuszerodegrees.net/5160/bio..._problem_1.htm

EDIT: I had removed MODULE_STRINGS_COMPRESSED from the COMMON list, and that seemed to cause the issue.
    That's unfortunate; I like to see that the binary matches the code when I am trying to understand things, and compression just seems unnecessary. Apparently we are unable to compile WITHOUT compression.

error.jpg

working with R602 XUB from Repo..

When trying to compile "large" I get the error shown above. Any suggestions as to why and how to fix this?

From Strings.ASM

169 <1> %ifdef MODULE_ADVANCED_ATA OR MODULE_8BIT_IDE OR MODULE_8BIT_IDE_ADVANCED OR MODULE_SERIAL
    170 <1>
    171 <1> %if g_szDeviceTypeValues_32bit <> g_szDeviceTypeValues_16bit + g_szDeviceTypeValues_Displacement
    172 <1> %error "g_szDeviceTypeValues Displacement Incorrect 2"
    172 ****************** <1> error: g_szDeviceTypeValues Displacement Incorrect 2
    173 <1> %endif

thanks!
    Last edited by Twospruces; October 15th, 2019 at 06:04 PM.

This seems like a bug. the reason this broke, is that the variables listed are being compressed, and hence modified. The math should work regardless of data compression, shouldn't it? uncompressed the value is "1" "6" and compressed it is 2bh.

255 <1> g_szDeviceTypeValues_16bit: ; db " 16",NULL
    256 <1> ; db 20h, 31h, 36h, 00h ; uncompressed
    257 00000184 202B0F <1> db 20h, 2bh, 0fh ; compressed

how can a compiler function like
    %if g_szDeviceTypeValues_32bit <> g_szDeviceTypeValues_16bit + g_szDeviceTypeValues_Displacement
    be meant to work when the values can be modified by the compiler?

thx!

Quote Originally Posted by Twospruces View Post
    EDIT: I had removed MODULE_STRINGS_COMPRESSED from the COMMON list, and that seemed to cause the issue.
    That's unfortunate; I like to see that the binary matches the code when I am trying to understand things, and compression just seems unnecessary. Apparently we are unable to compile WITHOUT compression.

error.jpg

working with R602 XUB from Repo..

When trying to compile "large" I get the error shown above. Any suggestions as to why and how to fix this?

From Strings.ASM

169 <1> %ifdef MODULE_ADVANCED_ATA OR MODULE_8BIT_IDE OR MODULE_8BIT_IDE_ADVANCED OR MODULE_SERIAL
    170 <1>
    171 <1> %if g_szDeviceTypeValues_32bit <> g_szDeviceTypeValues_16bit + g_szDeviceTypeValues_Displacement
    172 <1> %error "g_szDeviceTypeValues Displacement Incorrect 2"
    172 ****************** <1> error: g_szDeviceTypeValues Displacement Incorrect 2
    173 <1> %endif

thanks!

Yup that's the problem. There is one place in the code where g_szDeviceTypeValues_Displacement is set. Value must be changed when compiling with no compression.

I'm having trouble with the ROMSIZE Variable.

I've successfully built binaries using the build instructions - including getting the right URL to sync the latest sources. The builds I want to use include MODULE_BOOT_MENU. When I build the binaries, they are obviously larger than 8K. I have 32K AT28C256 eeproms which I can image with my burner. The questions are:

1. What do I use to fill the space between the EOF and 16K (I assume zeros) and what I do I use to mark the end.
    2. Can't I just use the IDE Configurator and load the EEPROM directly from disk vs going through the hassle of manually burning an eeprom?

All help is appreciated.

Geoff

Hi, my limited experiences-
    1) you have to pass the binary through XTIDECFG to the the "final binary" (decompress strings, configure etc)
    2) after you do that, you can then use HxD or other hex editor to pad out the file to the full 16kB

are you using LARGE in the makefile? for ide_xtl.bin (which I guess you are looking at because you say it includes the boot menu?

Steve

So, for the binaries I built, none will fit on a 8k unless I take out the Menu Option. For the 386 systems, I need that so I can boot from different media. I also have at28c256 eeproms so that I don't have to pull out the burner every time something may need to be updated. My question is how can I take the built image and simple insert it into the at28c256 using the idecfg program and not having to hex edit the image size.

Quote Originally Posted by gepooljr View Post
    My question is how can I take the built image and simple insert it into the at28c256 using the idecfg program and not having to hex edit the image size.
    IDECFG.COM is for the very old V1 bios, You will need to build / Use XTIDECFG.COM In the XTIDE_Universal_Bios _Configurator_V2 folder for the V2 > bios, There is no functional difference between the BOOT Menu and the HOTKEY Bar. Apart from The Menu displays a bit of drive info.

I assume you have either an XTIDE R2 / R3 or R4 card, In XTIDECFG.COM Configure the bios and EEPROM TYPE 28256 (32k) and flash the eeprom.