Image Map Image Map
Page 104 of 108 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108 LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1072

Thread: XTIDE tech support thread

No you're not blind, There is no link to the binaries on the main site, It's been commented on many times before but nothing been done about it.

Yeah, several of us have mentioned it...some of us even offered to help fix it...

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    Wow thanks. Either I'm blind or there is literally no mention of that page elsewhere on the site
    You aren't blind, I only found it by using google to search the site.
    My Retro Collection:
    CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
    Mac's: SE, LC630 & Beige G3
    PC's: K6-III+ 500 System + Roland MT-32 & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
    Visit my Tindie store for Tandy 1000 Adapters for EX, HX, SX, SL, TX & TL etc

4. Default

Quick one,

I see that the Wipedisk utility can't be downloaded from LoTech anymore. Is there a copy online somewhere? Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by Twospruces View Post
    Quick one,

I see that the Wipedisk utility can't be downloaded from LoTech anymore. Is there a copy online somewhere? Thx.
    It didn't actually work very well in my experience, your are far better to follow this procedure:

On a modern PC:

1. Put the Compact flash card in the reader and open an elevated command prompt. "Right click and Run as administrator"
    2. Type Diskpart.
    3. Type List Disk. "Find the number for your CF card"
    4. Type Select Disk "" <--- Your CF card number.
    5. Type Clean

Once this is done you can move over to your Tandy with the compact flash adapter, xtide, cables, cf card, and dos disks.
    My Retro Collection:
    CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
    Mac's: SE, LC630 & Beige G3
    PC's: K6-III+ 500 System + Roland MT-32 & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
    Visit my Tindie store for Tandy 1000 Adapters for EX, HX, SX, SL, TX & TL etc

6. Default

ok thanks for the tip. I had read that comment on an earlier page too. OK, I will give that a try. I tried to compile wipedisk also, but failed... I don't know what tools to use.

I assume that, once cleaned, one really needs to also run FDISK /MBR on DOS 5 or newer; my machine is running on DOS3.1 (using FDISK from DOS 3.3).

My major issue is that, while the BIOS always finds the CF card as master, it is hit or miss if DOS will see the CF card at all. I would say 10% of the time FDISK will see the disk, whereas most of the time it reports no disk is present.

I'm running R566. Have tried R580, will now move on to the latest BIOS and see if that improves reliability.
    Last edited by Twospruces; August 30th, 2019 at 05:54 AM.

WIPEDISK definitely just nukes the first few blocks of the drive, but it usually got enough of the partitioning/formatting from whatever was there before. It was nice to have around since it would run on DOS, on the actual hardware being set up.

Has it been intentionally removed, or is something just broken? I'm getting a 503 Service Unavailable. Not sure if James had any sort of license on it or whatever, I'm happy to upload a copy if not.

On a recent thread about getting my home-made XT-CF widget running I mentioned running into the "dirty CF" problem ("fdisk /mbr" was sufficient to fix it for me, although I do wish that switch existed on DOS versions prior to 5) and I mused about the idea of adding a tiny "low-level format" routine (which would simply fill the drive with zeros) to the XTIDE BIOS that you could access via a keystroke combination. Maybe that's an idea worth dropping in here?

In principle at least that might be useful, although I don't know if anyone would be uncomfortable about the idea of having the ability to wipe their drives so easily. Perhaps you could have the routine pop up a random "captcha" that has to be typed in instead of a regular "are you sure?" to reduce the chances of accidental nuke-age?

9. Default

I'm having some trouble with a homebrew XT-CF implementation for Z-171 lunch box 8088.

I made my own version of XT-CF lite rev.2.
    * It has the SST39SF010 flash chip
    * I can burn eeprom files no problem using the FLASH utility
    * XTIDECFG utility DOES NOT let me save modified flash images, so I cannot change anything from the default image
    * I have tried 566, 580, 590 and 602 bios images; 566 and 580 boot up, 590 and 602 do not

Preparing CF cards
    * I have a 16 MB Hitachi card and a 32 MB card Sandisk card
    * both were "clean all" , new partitioned using diskpart
    * both were formatted on Windows XP machine
    * I don't have a dos5 machine working that will let me run FDISK /MBR

Using 566 (or 580) BIOS, here is what happens
    * ALL of the time, a boot attempt from C fails with the error "partition not formatted"
    * once in a while, after booting from A into dos 3.1, FDISK is able to see the CF card, and I have a drive letter C assigned.

So, I have a reliability problem here. I can't seem to always get the CF card to be accessible. very infrequently does it properly work.

Any hints or suggestions?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Twospruces View Post
    Any hints or suggestions?
    Is there any way you can generate a DOS 5 boot disk for your machine? My modded Tandy 1000 has a Gotek+FlashFloppy in place of the original drive so I just had to track down a double-density formatted set of DOS 5 install images; if you drop from the setup program you can run "fdisk" from the first disk of a 720k install set.

It sounds like your setup is essentially the same as mine; I also use a SST39SF010 flash, which in my case lives on the memory board I built for the machine. (The CF board is *just* the support hardware for the IDE plug so it's just three chips.) I haven't tried using XTIDECFG yet, the image that was on Lo-tech's website has been working for me apparently fine.