Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 112 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: XTIDE tech support thread

Quote Originally Posted by strollin View Post
    The flash util runs but at the end it reports that the verify failed due to unexpected data at several addresses.
    You seem to be using the flash.com that is meant for Hargle's old BIOS. You need to use idecfg.com that comes with the XTIDE Universal BIOS images.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Moz View Post
    Is there a way to skip the boot code without disabling the bios entirely?
    Not at the moment. I could add option to disable boot menu. I could also force floppy drive A to be listed even when it is not detected.

I have an 8bit high density floppy controller with its own bios, but XTIDE won't list the controller's drives in its boot menu.
    I tried rearranging the cards order in the XT's slots, but it didn't change anything.
    Did you make sure that XTIDE ROM is mapped to higher address than the floppy controller ROM? It should not matter with late XTIDE initialization but try it anyway if you have not already.

Floppy drives are detected by first trying to get number of floppy drives from BIOS using Int13h/AH=08h function. It is available only on AT and later systems (i assumed it would be available on HD controllers with their own BIOS but maybe it's not). If that fails, number or floppy drives is read from equipment word on BIOS Data Area. It is stored there by main BIOS and number of floppy drives comes from the XT DIP switches.

Also, I think I may have found a bug. In my testing I entered Basica to bring up BASIC, then from within BASIC entered system to return to the DOS prompt. When I returned to the DOS prompt, anytime I tried to do something which required reading from the ide drive, I got a "General read error..." message. Once I rebooted, things worked fine again.
    Not a bug. By default the hard disk parameters are stored to the end of interrupt vectors (starting from 30:0h). ROM Basic uses that same area so it corrupts the hard disk parameters. You need to reserve 1kB of base memory for XTIDE if you want to use ROM Basic.

That can be done with the configuration program (idecfg.com). There is Reserve 1kB of base memory setting in General Settings menu.

Quote Originally Posted by aitotat View Post
    You seem to be using the flash.com that is meant for Hargle's old BIOS. You need to use idecfg.com that comes with the XTIDE Universal BIOS images.
    Yes, I was using flash.com. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. The idecfg.com util works much better and is far more user friendly as well.

I tried almost every IO port address but still couldn't find one that would work with my EGA card. I finally decided to just stick with the VGA card. I reflashed the BIOS back to the defaults, everything was working fine until I reinstalled my MF card, now I can't boot the hard drive. Argh!

I later found out that a hard drive works fine, only the IDE-CF adapter wouldn't boot with the MF card installed.
    Last edited by strollin; March 1st, 2010 at 04:48 PM.

Quick note! I'd posted last night on the order forum about a no boot issue. The eye's are not what they use to be. I'd installed one of the resistor packs the wrong way. I put together my 2nd board tonight and it currently formatting a HD as I type. That boot menu is GREAT. What other things to discover. I hope I can remove that resistor and save the 1st board but that another day.

Thanks

framer

You will need solder wick or a solder sucker to unsolder the resister pack. Once you remove the solder the resister pack should come off pretty easily.
    Last edited by strollin; March 1st, 2010 at 09:26 PM.

I later found out that a hard drive works fine, only the IDE-CF adapter wouldn't boot with the MF card installed.
    There should not be any compatibility problems like that or with the EGA. First i was thinking that you might have too weak power supply. That would mean that CF card would be more likely to work than hard disk and not the other way.

CF cards can require max 70mA and microdrives can require max 500mA. CF cards and microdrives only use the 5V line. Hard disks can require 500mA on 5V line and 300mA on 12V line.

Quote Originally Posted by aitotat View Post
    There should not be any compatibility problems like that or with the EGA. First i was thinking that you might have too weak power supply. That would mean that CF card would be more likely to work than hard disk and not the other way.

CF cards can require max 70mA and microdrives can require max 500mA. CF cards and microdrives only use the 5V line. Hard disks can require 500mA on 5V line and 300mA on 12V line.
    Maybe there shouldn't be compatability problems like that but there are. I can connect the CF adapter, it will be detected, reports that a boot sector is found, says "Starting MSDOS..." but never gets the the C:\ prompt. I can power down, disconnect the CF adapter, attach an IDE drive and power back up and it will boot to a C:\ prompt. I don't know why but that's the way it works. If I remove the MF card, I can boot to a C:\ prompt with either.

I doubt it could be a weak power supply since it boots fine with the original full-height 10M drive which I'm sure draws more than the IDE drive, especially while spinning up.

Yes, I was using flash.com.
    I will just like to add a note here.

As said above, flash.com and the 3 other relating utilities are only to be used with Hargle's BIOS. It's not updated anymore, but the curent version doesn't have any major problems.

All rev1 cards are shipped with Aitotat's BIOS already preflashed. Aitotat's BIOS is actively being updated, and it has a lot more flexibility and features than Hargle's BIOS have.

If you however wish to use Hargle's BIOS for various reasons, you must use flash.com and/or setcard.com with the "-A" parameter since your cards got Atmel EEPROMs with software data-protection activated. The "-A" parameter isn't really tested yet, but it should theoretically work according to the Atmel EEPROM datasheet.
    Current systems owned by me:
    Vintage:IBM PC/XT submodel 087 ( 1983 ), [Kon]tiki-100 rev. C (1983), Compaq Portable I ( 1984 ), IBM PC/XT submodel 078 ( 1985 ), IBM PC/XT286 ( ~1986 ), 3x Nintendo Entertainement Systems ( 1987 ).
    Obsolete:Commodore A500 ( ~1990 ), IBM PS/2 model 70/386 type 8570-161 ( 1991 ), Atari Lynx II ( ~1992 ), Generic Intel 486SX PC ( ~1993 ), AT/T Globalyst Pentium w/FDIV bug MB ( 1994 ), Compaq 486DX4 laptop ( ~1995 ).

I'm getting very strange errors now. Programs copied to the hard drive can't be executed. For example: I have the BIOS files and idecfg.com on a floppy disk in the A: drive. I invoke idecfg.com from the A: prompt, works fine. I change to the C: drive, make a directory called XTIDE, change to that directory and do a copy A:*.*. The copy does not report any errors and a DIR of the XTIDE directory looks good with correct file sizes and such. I invoke idecfg.com from within the XTIDE directory and the system hangs. In one case, which I have not been able to duplicate, when I invoked idecfg.com, the boot menu appeared, it counted down but then reported "Non-system disk... Replace and try again". Rebooting got the same result. I then installed the drive in another machine and saw that all the data on the drive was wiped.

I formatted the drive and installed DOS and some utilities on the drive in another machine. The programs copied to the drive while in the other machine work fine, only programs copied to the drive while it is attached to the XT-IDE card exihibit problems.

This happens with both RC1 and RC2 of aitotat's BIOS.