Image Map Image Map
Page 40 of 75 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: XTIDE tech support thread

Quote Originally Posted by raifield View Post
    Ordered a new Atmel EEPROM, hopefully that clears things up. I wasn't aware the XT IDE card would flash a blank chip.
    Yes - using the flash utility that comes with the BIOS, you can essentially use the XT-IDE as a bare-bones eeprom burner for the one chip-type. Albeit a cumbersome one
    ---
    Currently seeking:
    * Roland MPU-401/AT (with daughter card header)
    * Magitronic K-156 Keyboard (5pin DIN w/ XT-AT switch)
    I also collect PC and C64 Sierra On-Line software!

Eh, got the new Atmel chip, made sure the orientation was correct, but still the same issue. I either get a message that the polling timed out and the ROM was not flashed. The address in the xtidecfg program matches the one jumpered on the card and the Read/Write protect jumper is "in", so I should be able to write to the chip. I guess I have a bad card, maybe the solder. Bummer.

probably fixable simply by just re-hitting all the solder joints with an iron to get them flowing again. it could just be one slightly cold solder joint that is causing all your headaches.

I'll buy a soldering iron and see what happens. Parts Express has a Stahl Tools SSVT iron for $15. I have no experience with soldering, but I doubt I can make the inoperable card less operable unless I stab the PCB with the iron.

I just finished assembling a recently acquired Version 2 board. I am getting ready to try it out, but am getting just a bit confused on the jumper settings (I have previous experience with version 1 boards X 2) even after looking at the pictures, wiki, help thread, and schematic. I understand the IO and memory addresses OK, as well as the ROM and write enable. But I am getting confused on the other settings. What really through me off was when I looked at the picture on the wiki, it looks as though the jumpers are configured for a 256 ROM rather that a 64 (and the board pictured has a 64). Can someone help?
    Thanks, BT

I've done a bit more research on my own, using a meter to trace to ground to identify the orientation of the pins to jumper.
    I think K6 and K7 now make sense. But still a bit confused on K1(which appears to be set to 256 ROM in the picture) and K2.

that very well may have been my mistake with the eeprom size jumper. i doubt it matters since the eeprom itself isn't that big it can't possibly steal any addresses off the bus that it doesn't have.

OK thanks. My version 2 card is up and running great. I did need to set the correct ROM size for it to work.

please do help edit the wiki with any updates you have, including a better picture of the finished card.
    glad you got it running!

I would just like to say thanks to everyone who helped get the XTIDE project up and running.
    After an evening and a morning I worked out the settings for my Sega TeraDrive and am now up and running on both my Model 2 and Model 3 units.
    Below is a video of the unit in action - a TeraDrive with a less prone to failure hard drive sure makes my weekend! So thank you all!