Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Serial Modem Emulator?

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    You can use CTTY as long as the terminal program (telnet, serial, et c) uses stdout and doesn't talk to the graphics hardware directly. I found this out using the mTCP suite -- load up IRCjr using a CTTY redirect, and if you've got a real video card and monitor on the system, the display will show up there even though the console is still active on the serial port.

It /should/ be possible to do a PPP serial link between two Windows machines...I know that Windows 95 included some of that functionality in Direct Cable Connect, and I think 98 added the ability to share your Internet connection across it (95's may have been NetBIOS only, I don't remember).
    Yeah, unfortunately there's not much non-trivial DOS software that uses stdio and works with CTTY, and CTTY itself doesn't work correctly or at all in newer versions of Windows. I think there are other ways of getting remote access to the CMD CLI though, although they're also somewhat limited; Linux does seem to make all this a lot simpler since its roots are in remote access after all.

My head is starting to spin with all the different permutations of what exactly runs where, on what, and does what, and which of dozens of different programs and drivers actually work...
    Last edited by MikeS; April 1st, 2010 at 10:18 PM.

MikeS: Connecting a computer that's capable of running a browser, email and Telnet client etc. over a serial link to a 'server' running Linux is obviously pretty straightforward; if it's equally as simple natively on a Windows box as you suggest I'd like to hear more details.
    I thought I'd do a bit of searching and what I found is that Microsoft has some different vocabulary. They seem to refer to RAS, or Remote Access Server, and it would appear that it is under that title that they hide PPP. I found this page which refers to "Remote access protocols—Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP), Serial Line Internet Protocol (SLIP), and Microsoft RAS protocol". You might have guessed that I'm no friend of MS, but I gotta say, they have great documentation.

Linux does seem to make all this a lot simpler since its roots are in remote access after all.
    That's why I think that setting up a separate server just for this purpose might be a nice solution to a lot of problems. Use a discarded P2. It doesn't need much power just to do this. As I mentioned above, this could also be accomplished from a live disk, so it doesn't need an extra computer and doesn't touch the Windows installation.

As to the M100, that's a hard nut to crack. I've got an M200 and the bigger screen (than the 100) isn't much help either.

Hey Tandyman100! Whatever happened to the 486 laptop?
    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.

In looking for more details I found a very informative document on connecting a Commodore 64 via virtual modem:

http://pdf.textfiles.com/technical/c64online.pdf

While the examples use a C64, most of what is discussed applies to any vintage computer with an RS-232 port.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Moz View Post
    I'm a fan of Lantronix's UDS-10.
    They can occasionally be found for reasonable prices on eBay.

They have a modem emulation mode which will take standard "AT" codes from a terminal program and convert them to IP addresses over your local network, or the internet.

Inside the case, there is a full little PC with a 186 chip even, which I think is neat
    __
    Trevor
    Hi Trevor, how would you configure this? Once the Lantronix box is in modem emulation mode, the client computer would still require you to dial a phone number, I assume? How would you circumvent that and make the client computer look up Internet addresses directly?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubix View Post
    Hi Trevor, how would you configure this? Once the Lantronix box is in modem emulation mode, the client computer would still require you to dial a phone number, I assume? How would you circumvent that and make the client computer look up Internet addresses directly?
    Instead of a phone number you 'dial' the IP address, e.g.
    ATDTx.x.x.x.pppp or ATDTx.x.x.x/pppp

https://www.lantronix.com/products/u...docs-downloads