Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zenith Z-110 low profile

Default Zenith Z-110 low profile

I just acquired a Zenith Z-110 low profile model. Before I ask any questions in this forum I must ask, is this the proper forum to direct questions for this computer? It uses EEE696 s-100 cards but is not a standard s-100 setup. It came with original software CP/M 85, basic 80, zdos, zbasic, multiplan. It just a single floppy system with 192K MB with a single green bank for video. A side note it has the quietest FH floppy I've ever seen.

framer

Quote Originally Posted by framer View Post
    Before I ask any questions in this forum I must ask, is this the proper forum to direct questions for this computer?
    I'd say go ahead and ask; it looks pretty interesting whatever it is. We can always move the thread if it turns out not to be "S-100 enough" for this forum.

I would say your in the right place. Zenith advertised this computer as "having 4 open industry standard IEEE 696 S-100 slots to accommodate most any peripheral". It has 2 microprocessors allowing you to run 16-bit MS-DOS applications and also to run most existing CP/M 8-bit programs.
    By any chance did your computer come with a Gemini or Easy-PC add-on board? Those were expensive add-ons and gave the Z-100 (Z-110 and Z-120) IBM PC compatibility.

Nope, no Gemini or Easy-PC add-on board. It also has 5 slots but uses one for a floppy controller. Creating copies of the original disks and working copies to use with app's was an eye opener about using single drive operations. This was also the 1st time I've checked out a CP/M v2.2 OS. We come a long way baby.

framer

Can you post a picture of the system/insides?
    bd
    @ BillDeg:
    Web: vintagecomputer.net
    Twitter: @billdeg
    Youtube: @billdeg
    Unauthorized Bio

It may be this weekend before I can take pictures. I live in RI and have had some water to deal with last week now I'm playing catch up.

framer

Found my wifes camera. Here you go.

framer

Looks like you got a really nice clean machine!

As I get more into this thing I found out I had one bad key and one intermittant one. I found a great source for repair instructions at http://home.earthlink.net/~z100lifel...a/Z100Key.html works perfect now.

I've now been able to create working disks and backups of all the original software. It was a hoot to create those system CP/M disks. I had to swap the disk 100+ times.

{dreaming: I sure could use an IDE card for this beast}

framer

Quote Originally Posted by framer View Post
    <snip>
    {dreaming: I sure could use an IDE card for this beast}

framer
    Not necessarily a dream; AFAIK Andrew L. and John M. are working on one.

Andrew, are ya there?