Image Map Image Map
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Tandy 1000 Upgrades.

Blog Entries

Tupin:
    What model Tandy 1000 do you have? Is it a 1000, 1000A, 1000SX, or what?

It's an original 1000.

Blog Entries

Need a little time to to go through my Tandy manuals and try to figure this out. If you had a 1000SX you wouldn't have a problem at all.
    Hang in there!

Sounds good...

In the mean time, I'll get a floppy cable for a modern computer so I can put a 5.25 in it to transfer files.

I don't see why any old 34 pin drive wouldn't work...

Blog Entries

A word of caution about that. The way the 1000SX works is that a particular floppy drive's position, that is either "A" or "B", is dependent on the jumper settings within that particular drive. The 1000SX uses a floppy cable without the familiar twist. If you use a modern 3 1/2" floppy on the 1000SX as your "B" drive, in the absence of movable jumpers, you must resolder the hard-wired jumpers on the floppy's pcb. The easiest way is to leave the 3 1/2" as the "A" drive and easily change the jumpers on the 5 1/4" drive to "B". I think the 1000 gets it's power through the drive cable, therefore most of the above may not apply. Unless you can come up with a super 8-bit floppy controller that likes the 1000, the most you will be able to realize is a 3 1/2" 720KB/1.44MB floppy operating at 720KB only, and a 5 1/4" DS-DD 360KB floppy. As far as I know, none of the 1000 series BIOS will natively support high density drives. I'll keep checking . . .

I just want a 720K drive, so that's fine.

I guess I'll just bite the bullet and buy a 1.44MB drive and hope it works, at least they are cheap.

I have a 1.44MB drive in my original 1000 and it works perfectly as a 720K drive. The original Tandy floppy cable is very short and does not use a twist, but if you retrofit a standard floppy cable with the twist, then you won't have to worry about messing around with the drive select jumpers on the floppy drive(s).

Also, the older 1000s use standard Molex power connectors. I believe it was only the 3.5" floppy drives in the 1000HX and newer models that combined the power with the data cable.

Finally, don't believe Radio Shack when they said you need to upgrade the ROM in the original 1000 in order to support a hard drive. My 1000 has the original, never upgraded 01.00.00 ROM and I am able to just pop in a Seagate ST11 controller and hard drive and it works perfectly.

I don't have a cable with a twist AND edge connectors, will any standard universal cable work? Also, if I use the universal cable, can I just use the 3.5 connector rather than the adapter and a card edge?

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    I don't have a cable with a twist AND edge connectors, will any standard universal cable work? Also, if I use the universal cable, can I just use the 3.5 connector rather than the adapter and a card edge?
    Feel free to experiment for yourself. It only takes a few minutes to swap out the cables and see what works and what doesn't.