Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Backpack Floppy Drives

You are probably right about not reading/writing cp/m using a BackPack, but not even being able to read the BackPack installation diskette is frustrating. Before finding your idea about attaching a 5.25" drive to my 3.5 BackPack, I spent about a week trying booting DOS on my 2K box with a 5.25" installed and then using the CP/M to DOS conversion software called 22DISK. I still had no luck so I spoke with the owners of 22DISK and they assured me their software would only work on Windows 95 or 98, definitely not anything later. So I tried the BackPack approach with my old Windows 95 laptop. Now I'm going to install Windows 95 on an old box, install the 5.25" drive and try it all again. I sure hope it works!
    Thanks for all your help and expertise on this site. Its a life saver for non-technically minded people like me.

Blog Entries

"Owners of 22DISK" I wonder who that might be... You probably could have saved yourself a bunch of trouble if you'd have outlined your plans to them.

Others have used 5.25" floppies on backpacks, so it's hard to say what your problem is without getting into specifics.

If I've got this right your 2K box has (or can have) both 5.25" and 3.5" disk drives, so why bother with the backpack at all?

When you booted DOS on it 22disk should have worked fine; maybe you should just try to get that working to read your Kaypro disks.

To start with, this sure doesn't sound right:
    [D:] 3 1/2 inch Floppy - always responds regardless of position on ribbon cable or drive type assigned to it.

Hi everyone,
    I know this topic is old but I got a 5.25 floppy enclosure from Microsolutions, I tried to download the ISO that was linked on the first post of this topic but the site isnt working anymore.

Anyone can send it to another server please?

Thank you so much.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by fredohenriquez View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I know this topic is old but I got a 5.25 floppy enclosure from Microsolutions, I tried to download the ISO that was linked on the first post of this topic but the site isnt working anymore.

Anyone can send it to another server please?

Thank you so much.
    Cheers.
    Check here... I know this has been five years, but someone else might want this: http://minuszerodegrees.net/backpack...k_setup_cd.htm

Quote Originally Posted by acadiel View Post
    Check here... I know this has been five years, but someone else might want this: http://minuszerodegrees.net/backpack...k_setup_cd.htm
    Not for the floppy drive device, it seems this is for an external CD

Quote Originally Posted by Towmater View Post
    Not for the floppy drive device, it seems this is for an external CD
    It's printed on the cd, it contains software for both the cdrom and the floppy drive

Quote Originally Posted by konc View Post
    It's printed on the cd, it contains software for both the cdrom and the floppy drive
    Yup. It is a compilation with every single one of the Backpack device drivers. There's a DOS setup program as well as a Windows (3.1/95?) setup program for the Backpack.SYS file and the utilities for the parallel floppy.

Blog Entries

...and of course, I published actual source code for communicating with the BP floppy device. But the links were scrambled in the vintage-computer-to-vcfed changeover. And I can't go back and edit my message from years ago. Too bad that vBulletin never considered that having symbolic names for files, rather than attachment numbers might be a good idea.