Image Map Image Map

Thread: Are there versions of IBM PC basic that will work draw EGA resolution?

Default Are there versions of IBM PC basic that will work draw EGA resolution?

Gang,

Title says it all. It seems that the BASIC that came with IBM DOS version 3.3, which was released (1987) after the enhanced graphics adaptor (1984), doesn't support it. Version 3.3 came out about the same time that EGA was made obsolete by VGA. Did DOS 4 or 5's version of BASIC support EGA? Oh, I guess GW-BASIC would be fine, too.

Thanks,
    Sean
    Last edited by Floppies_only; June 5th, 2010 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Added GW-BASIC

According to Wikipedia, 3.23 was the last GW-BASIC version ever released. It should support EGA modes.

Through one of the referenced external links, you should be able to find a place where you can download it (although I'm not sure about the current legality of GW-BASIC):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GW-BASIC

GWBASIC 3.20 supports EGA: SCREEN 9 and SCREEN 10 use EGA resolutions. With SCREEN 7 and SCREEN 8 you get more pages with EGA's memory, and 0, 7, and 8 get 16 colors. Many VGA cards don't support real EGA modes, so your card might choke if you're using a white box VGA card to run EGA modes.

For compilers, QuickBasic 4 and later, and MS BASIC Compiler 6 and 7 support EGA and VGA quite well. I usually use QB4.5. I ask the system what it supports, and choose an appropriate display mode for the adapter.
    Mark, W8BIT http://saundby.com/

Blog Entries

I ran GW-BASIC 3.2 on a BOCA EGA in my Tandy 1000SX until I went VGA. Q-BASIC 4.0 & 4.5 will run as well. No problems with the graphic screens.

Quote Originally Posted by digger View Post
    According to Wikipedia, 3.23 was the last GW-BASIC version ever released. It should support EGA modes.
    MS-DOS 4.01 was the last version to come with GW-BASIC. I know it was slightly updated compared to the version that came with MS-DOS 3.3, but I don't know what the changes were. It does support EGA graphics, but not the additional new VGA modes.

Meanwhile, I think IBM's PC DOS 5.02 may have still come with BASICA (requiring the IBM Cassette BASIC ROM), but I'm not sure. I know that PC DOS 6.1 and higher did not come with any version of BASIC, as IBM did not license use of Microsoft's QBASIC. (PC DOS 7.0 and 2000 come with an interpreter for IBM's own programming language, called REXX.)

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    Meanwhile, I think IBM's PC DOS 5.02 may have still come with BASICA (requiring the IBM Cassette BASIC ROM), but I'm not sure.
    IBM DOS 5.02 came with QBasic (including sample programs: Gorilla, Money, Nibbles, Remline), which didn't require ROM Basic.
    Of course it supported EGA. And even VGA.