Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: IBM DOS v5...

  1. #1

    Default IBM DOS v5...

    Hi Guys!

    ... I have it, well sort of anyway

    I got hold of a boxed IBM DOS 5, including from what I can tell all the manuals, but only 2 of the 3 disks, Disk 1 is missing

    Now I know this is probably not allowed, but does someone perhaps have the same version of the disks who would not mind making an image of the first disk for me?

    I took a quick photo of the box + manuals + disks...

    Thanks!

    PS. I tried uploading the pics, but it's not working - will post them ASAP
    There are doorways I haven't opened and windows I've yet to look through, going forward may not be the answer, maybe I should go back!

    Looking for:
    Commodore 64/128 or Atari stuff. Any XT/AT/286 parts or complete machines.
    South Africa Please.

    Currently Own:
    Vintage
    Modified IBM 5155, Stock IBM 5160, Commodore64 with 1541 & C2N
    Main Rig
    Core i5 750, 4GB RAM, HD5770 1GB, 1.4TB storage

  2. #2

    Default

    I don't think there is much of an issue with giving you one image of the set ..

    I'm a big fan of IBM DOS 5. Unfortunately, all of my copies seem to be on 5.25" diskettes, not 3.5s.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SE MI
    Posts
    4,325
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    I have MS-DOS 5.0 from WIN Laboratories, LTD. There are five DS/DD 360 KB disks in this set. If you need images it will take a while, as my 486 'do-all' pc, with 5.25 floppy, is awaiting arrival of a new P24T cpu, scheduled for today. You can send me a PM with a personal email address and I can make a '7-ZIP' archive and get it to you as soon as I re-assemble my 486, or an I can do an image. How about both? You could then shuffle things around a little and make your own 3.5 disks out of all that. The boot disk is easy to make, assuming you have a 5.25 floppy at your disposal.

  4. #4

    Default

    Ah, I failed to mention that it's on 3" DD disks...
    There are doorways I haven't opened and windows I've yet to look through, going forward may not be the answer, maybe I should go back!

    Looking for:
    Commodore 64/128 or Atari stuff. Any XT/AT/286 parts or complete machines.
    South Africa Please.

    Currently Own:
    Vintage
    Modified IBM 5155, Stock IBM 5160, Commodore64 with 1541 & C2N
    Main Rig
    Core i5 750, 4GB RAM, HD5770 1GB, 1.4TB storage

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    33,051
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    I have MS-DOS 5.0 from WIN Laboratories, LTD. There are five DS/DD 360 KB disks in this set. If you need images it will take a while, as my 486 'do-all' pc, with 5.25 floppy, is awaiting arrival of a new P24T cpu, scheduled for today. You can send me a PM with a personal email address and I can make a '7-ZIP' archive and get it to you as soon as I re-assemble my 486, or an I can do an image. How about both? You could then shuffle things around a little and make your own 3.5 disks out of all that. The boot disk is easy to make, assuming you have a 5.25 floppy at your disposal.
    Is MS-DOS 5.0 the same as PC-DOS 5.0? I think there are some differences.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SE MI
    Posts
    4,325
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Chuck:

    Pretty much the same, I've used both. I never encountered a pc from that era that wouldn't at least run some form of MS-DOS.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    4,513
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    A few minor differences in DOS 5. Microsoft still has a web page devoted to the differences. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/75169
    If Iceland or 122 key keyboards matter, one needs the IBM PC DOS 5.

    In earlier versions of PC-DOS, the differences included GW-Basic versus BASICA and PC-DOS would only recognize hard disks formatted by PC-DOS.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SE MI
    Posts
    4,325
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Minerva:

    Let me work on 3.5 those inchs disks - may take a few days. I'm assuming that you do not have a 5.25 inch floppy?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    33,051
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    A few minor differences in DOS 5. Microsoft still has a web page devoted to the differences. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/75169
    If Iceland or 122 key keyboards matter, one needs the IBM PC DOS 5.

    In earlier versions of PC-DOS, the differences included GW-Basic versus BASICA and PC-DOS would only recognize hard disks formatted by PC-DOS.
    I haven't checked a copy of PC-DOS 5 recently. Are the system files still called IBMBIO.COM and IBMDOS.COM or are they IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS as in the Microsoft product?

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Minerva:

    Let me work on 3.5 those inchs disks - may take a few days. I'm assuming that you do not have a 5.25 inch floppy?
    I do actually have a 1.2MB 5" drive, so it's not an issue at all. I presume one would just have to fiddle around a bit to make sure that one copies all the correct files onto the 3" floppies.

    Thanks a lot!

    PS. as a side note, I noticed that here in South Africa we created a name for 3" disks, we call them Stiffies here, and the 5" we call floppies. A bit of useless info
    There are doorways I haven't opened and windows I've yet to look through, going forward may not be the answer, maybe I should go back!

    Looking for:
    Commodore 64/128 or Atari stuff. Any XT/AT/286 parts or complete machines.
    South Africa Please.

    Currently Own:
    Vintage
    Modified IBM 5155, Stock IBM 5160, Commodore64 with 1541 & C2N
    Main Rig
    Core i5 750, 4GB RAM, HD5770 1GB, 1.4TB storage

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •