Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cork Pads for IBM 5150, 5160, 5170 (and similar) & Clicky Keyboards

Default Cork Pads for IBM 5150, 5160, 5170 (and similar) & Clicky Keyboards

In order to avoid potential post highjacking, I'm starting this as its own thread.

Based on the thread at:
    http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...7250-Cork-pads

Originally Posted by modem7
    Maybe if there is demand, someone may get these made up and sell them on eBay (or here in these forums) in small lots.

Per Modem7s original idea, Ive sourced the material for the rubber-cork pads, and per Chucks idea, Ive found a couple hole punches at the local hobby store.

I had a manufacturer of nitrile rubber cork gasket sheets send me a few samples, and as you can see below, one of them is either a pretty good match, or the exact same stuff that was used originally.

The pad thats sitting on top of the sample was peeled off the bottom of my early model 5150 (16KB-64KB board), and matches another of my 5150s as well.
    From my measurements, the 5150 base unit pads are 1/8 thick x 1 dia, and the keyboard pads are 1/16 thick x 1 dia. Youd need to apply some glue to them (3M Super 77 Multi-Purpose Adhesive recommended) as this material isnt adhesive backed.

Before I order a sheet of both the 1/8 and 1/16 thick material, Id like to know how many other people would want some.

Im not looking to make a profit or take a loss.
    Im figuring a set of five base unit pads, and five keyboard pads (five vs four because then youll have spares) will run around $ 2.50. Im not charging anything for labor, so thats 10 pads (five of each size) mailed first class to a US address in a #10 envelope for $ 2.50 including pad material, waste/screwups, the envelope, and postage.
    If some of the Europeans/Kiwis/Brits and any non-US others want a set or two or three, well just add the difference in postage.

So, how many people would want a set?

Send me a PM (and dont post PM sent) with how many sets you might want, and well see if I get enough response to make it feasible.

Cheers.

Bump (so this doesn't drop to the depths of the forum), in the hope we get enough orders to make this work out.

I've got a few orders - just need a few more to make it happen.

I'm going to get these made up.

I'm just waiting to hear back from the company that supplies the cork.
    They had a fire in their warehouse/office a week ago, and it destroyed everything.
    They have two other locations with warehouses, so they're trying to find out which one has stock.
    Tough for them to do though - they've only got one working phone line left, but the same number of calls that they used to get every day.
    I should hear back in the next week, and will update with when I'm supposed to get the material.

The manufacturer is expecting to have the rubber cork material back in stock, on 8/13/10.

Update: the manufacturer has changed their expected stock date to 8/19/10.

Good things come to those who wait ?????

I'll take a set, provided I'm not extremely broke when they're ready for some unforeseen reason.

My 5160 has these pads but they were breaking apart and at least one of them fell off. My 5170 has them as well, I believe, but those are in good condition.

Whatever the case, for that price, good to have backups.
    More commonly known as "Yushatak" - www.yushatak.com
    Focused on 486 and Pentium Machines
    I collect All-In-One PCs and Keyboard PCs, especially Compaq.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    I'll take a set, provided I'm not extremely broke when they're ready for some unforeseen reason.

My 5160 has these pads but they were breaking apart and at least one of them fell off. My 5170 has them as well, I believe, but those are in good condition.

Whatever the case, for that price, good to have backups.
    I have added you to the list.
    I'm hoping to get the material, and have them made by the end of the month.

Another Update: the manufacturer now shows their expected stock date as 8/24/10.

They're in Canada, so it must be a Metric - Imperial time conversion problem.

One more postponement, and I'll have to get on the phone and find out what's going on.

Gotta watch that Metric time.

I love that excuse. I'll have to use that one next week when someone asks me why something hasn't happened yet.
    my blog: http://dfarq.homeip.net
    I wanna live where it's always Saturday. --Guadalcanal Diary

Update on the updates:

The manufacturer's website is now showing stock as being available on 9/4/10.
    The website keeps getting updated, and the date keeps getting pushed.

I've telephoned them a few times, and I'm getting conflicting stories.
    One story has everything being burned in the fire, so they are waiting for new stock from Portugal.
    Another has the stuff on a container that was deleayed, and is supposed to be delivered 9/4/10.
    Yet another has the 1/8" thick material surviving the fire, but they still need to get the 1/16" material.

Who knows?
    In any case I have placed an order, so as soon as it comes in, I'm on the list for it.

In other news, I've found that the base unit pad is actually 1 5/8" dia, not 1 1/2" as previously measured. I've made a single pad out of the sample material, and it's perfect at 1 5/8", so that's the size I'll make them.

I also obtained a 3M industrial adhesive transfer tape that works well on cork and rubber, so when I make the pads they will be self adhesive. Just peel off the piece of paper and stick them to the case or keyboard. I also did this on the sample, and it works great.

So now, we just wait.............