Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Compaq Deskpro 386/20

Yup, it's marked "Winch." I guess I still need my battery and a setup disk to get this thing to boot from IDE. And there wouldn't be any chance that this could even try to boot XP, would there?

Also, I opened up the battery pack and found two AA-sized batteries. If this thing puts out 7.2V nominally, with a diode that drops .7V, that would indicate those are 4V batteries. Do they even make such batteries? Could I make my own battery pack, and if so, what kind of batteries do I need? Could I stick a 9V battery in there with a diode or two and make it work?

Thanks!

Kyle

I just made a battery pack. Is 8.45V unloaded too high?

Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by antiquekid3 View Post
    I just made a battery pack. Is 8.45V unloaded too high?
    Could be. It depends on the circuitry on the motherboard. The IBM 5170 for example, uses an MC146818 CMOS/RTC chip, for which the limit is 7 volts (at the chip).

And there wouldn't be any chance that this could even try to boot XP, would there?
    No, but you could install Windows 95 if you were so inclined. Windows 98 might be possible, but it'd be painful.

I assume the battery holds the contents of the BIOS in SRAM? Thus, would there be a voltage regulator, or simply a battery? I shorted a 9V for a bit to get it down to roughly 8V, which I think should be fine. It's just about within 10%.

To use the setup disk, should I have to boot into DOS first? And with the dual floppy drive (3.5" + 5.25"), does it matter which one has the boot disk in it?

I would love to locate a copy of Windows 3.1. I really would love to use an early version of Windows. However, I wouldn't know what to do for a mouse. I suppose a pointer device is required (though I can navigate XP pretty well without a mouse). Is eBay the best bet for an install package?

Thanks!

Kyle

I assume the battery holds the contents of the BIOS in SRAM? Thus, would there be a voltage regulator, or simply a battery?
    A battery.

To use the setup disk, should I have to boot into DOS first?
    SP0308.EXE suits many models. It creates a bootable disk. The below suggests the requirement for a 720K sized diskette. If you have only 1.44M available, you can create a crude 720K by taping over the density hole on a 1.44M.

SOFTPAQ NUMBER: SP0308.ZIP
    PART NUMBER: N/A
    FILE NAME: SP0308.EXE
    TITLE: SETUP/DIAGNOSTICS Version 8.00 DP256 720K (3.5 Inch Diskette)
    VERSION: 8.00

LANGUAGE: English

CATEGORY: Diagnostics-Setup

DIVISION: Portables, Desktops

PRODUCTS AFFECTED: COMPAQ Portable, COMPAQ DESKPRO, COMPAQ DESKPRO 286,
    COMPAQ PORTABLE 286, COMPAQ PORTABLE II, COMPAQ PORTABLE III,
    COMPAQ PORTABLE 386, COMPAQ DESKPRO 386, COMPAQ DESKPRO 386/20,
    COMPAQ DESKPRO 386/25, COMPAQ SLT/286, COMPAQ LTE, COMPAQ LTE/286,
    COMPAQ DESKPRO 286e, COMPAQ DESKPRO 286n

I would love to locate a copy of Windows 3.1. I really would love to use an early version of Windows. However, I wouldn't know what to do for a mouse. I suppose a pointer device is required (though I can navigate XP pretty well without a mouse). Is eBay the best bet for an install package?
    I suggest a two-button mouse (no scroll wheel) that is compatible with the Microsoft Mouse. When you then install Windows 3.1, and it gets to the stage where it asks you to select the mouse type, you would select "Microsoft or IBM PS/2 Mouse".

There's a suitable Microsoft mouse at eBay item 360284655085 (if your machine has a serial port).

Hey guys,

I still haven't had any luck. I made the diagnostic diskette using the SP0308.EXE program on my other PC, and after writing the files, it claimed that the diskette didn't match the master copy. Hrm. I stuck the diskette in the machine anyways and turned it on, without any luck. In fact, I have yet to see the green light for the 3.5" drive turn on. As I mentioned before, the floppy drive is a combo unit. The green light for the 5.25" drive turns on and I can tell it's working.

What should I do? The only spare 3.5" drive I have has the mini-Molex connector, so I can't easily hook it up.

Kyle

The computer defaults to a single floppy drive (5", I think). You're going to have to either download the 360k version of the setup program and switch the floppy drive between your current computer and the Deskpro to write a 5" DD floppy, or you'll have to power the 3" floppy drive from your current computer while sending the data cable to your Deskpro and see if the Deskpro detects the drive properly.

Alternatively, you can buy an adapter on eBay. They're pretty cheap, but you'll have to wait for it to come from Hong Kong.

Hey guys,

I still haven't had any luck. I made the diagnostic diskette using the SP0308.EXE program on my other PC, and after writing the files, it claimed that the diskette didn't match the master copy. Hrm. I stuck the diskette in the machine anyways and turned it on, without any luck. In fact, I have yet to see the green light for the 3.5" drive turn on. As I mentioned before, the floppy drive is a combo unit. The green light for the 5.25" drive turns on and I can tell it's working.

What should I do? The only spare 3.5" drive I have has the mini-Molex connector, so I can't easily hook it up.

Kyle
    What's the make/model of the drive (Chinon, Canon, Epson, or???) Some of them had a jumper to swap the drive assignments, so that you might be able to boot from the 3.5 with a DD disk.

Chuck?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    What's the make/model of the drive (Chinon, Canon, Epson, or???) Some of them had a jumper to swap the drive assignments, so that you might be able to boot from the 3.5 with a DD disk.
    Also, if your cable has both twisted and non-twisted connectors you could move the drive to the other connector; that should swap the drives.