Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Compaq Deskpro 386/20

Sorry for the delay. School got in the way...haha! Anyways, I pulled the Compaq out tonight and I STILL can't get the thing to boot! I made a 720K 3.5" boot disk, found a power adapter for the 3.5" floppy drive, and it still says that there is a disk error. I am wondering if my floppy controller card has a misplaced jumper, but I can't for the life of me seem to find the jumper settings (or even the model number) for this card. The card has Winchester, floppy, DE9M and DB25F connectors. Currently only the floppy controller and the video card are installed.

Here's the system of events with a DOS 6.22 boot disk installed:
    1) Checks 08192KB of RAM
    2) Beeps twice slowly
    3) Prints 162-System Options Not Set-(Run Setup)...etc.
    4) Press F1
    5) Beeps twice slowly
    6) Beeps twice quickly
    7) Prints 163-Time & Date Not Set
    8) Prints "Non-System disk or disk error...etc.

What can I do? It does this for any disk in the drive. I have my floppy connections correct and have tried both A: and B: connectors on the cable, to no avail.

And, by the way...I still don't think I understand what to do with that SP_308.exe. Do I run that program on my current machine to make a bootable disk? Or do I copy that .exe over to a 720K floppy disk?

I thought SURELY by now I'd have this computer up and running!

Kyle

You need to run the executable on probably a DOS-based machine. It'll create a disk with the system configuration program on it. Then, boot from the configuration disk. You may need a 5" floppy drive with the 360k disk program if that doesn't work.

Blog Entries

Did you press F1 when it asked you to? If not what happens when you do?
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Yes, he did.

Blog Entries

"Non-system disk or disk error
    Replace and press any key when ready"

Is the message that comes from the boot sector of a diskette. Try the same thing without a floppy in the drive. Does the message change?

Alright, I'll try running that program in DOS 6.22 and see what happens. I'm going to first have to get my DOS HDD installed in my Windows machine so I can boot to it.

Chuck, the message is the same whether or not there is a disk in the drive.

Kyle

By the way, my 3.5" drive is a Mitsumi D359M3. Don't know if that will help or not, but maybe this drive can't read 720K floppies?

Kyle

Blog Entries

Should be okay-I'm assuming that you're using real 720K media or 1.44M media with the density select aperture covered.

When the system POSTs, is the floppy drive selected (light goes on) and can you hear the seek test? I'm also assuming that you didn't attach the drive cable upside-down.

Alright, I have some results! I took out the drive in my main PC which successfully made the Setup disk while booted in DOS. After connecting it to the Compaq, I finally hear the drive seeking, but now when the Setup disk is in there, it says "Load failure." Drats! I put it a DOS 6.22 boot disk and it gives me the disk error message. At least it's doing something different! I presume the drive can't handle 720K media. I have one real 720K disk and a few are 1.44MB with the holes covered. So now I know I have one good 3.5" drive that can read/write 720K media and a good floppy controller. I guess that means the error is now in the setup utility, maybe?

Kyle

Blog Entries

Sounds like it to me.

Have you tried to boot a 1.44M system disk?