Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MS-DOS on Intel Mac

Is it doing something like sata/scsi? You'd need additional drivers or a third party boot disk to install 9x if that's the case. Just guessing though.
    Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

Intel Macs use EFI natively instead of BIOS.

"Boot Camp" adds a "BIOS Compatibility Support Module", which is just an EFI plugin that emulates enough of BIOS to allow BIOS-dependent OSes to boot far enough to pass to their native hardware addressing mode.

As DOS *NEVER* leaves BIOS-addressing mode (well, not when running the core of DOS, anyway,) it would not surprise me if Apple's CSM doesn't provide sufficient resources for full DOS compatibility. It probably only provides exactly the minimum necessary to bootstrap NT's HAL.
    Apple ][+ through Retina MacBook Pro, 5150 PC through Core i7 8870/GeForce GTX 1080Ti and quad Itanium 9150M, and many in between.
    Newton, Palm 1000, Palm V, N-Gage, Tapwave Zodiac, iPhone, iPhone X.
    Intellivision, Game Boy through 3DS, Wii, XBone

Quote Originally Posted by antiquekid3 View Post
    So I tried booting from an original Win98 2nd Ed. disk and it didn't load the CD drivers. It still allowed me to view the files on the disk. However, my Vista disk loaded just fine. Quite strange! It's like something drastic changed along the way from Win98 to XP/Vista/7.

Kyle
    Forgive me if this is insultingly obvious to you, but something *did* change on the way between 98 and XP, and that's that the consumer OS switched to the NT kernel rather than the DOS/9x Kernel. This means that the core of the OS is 32-bit and architecture independent rather than 16-bit and architecture dependent. This is why there are versions of NT for Alpha, PPC, etc. but never a version of 9x for anything but x86. There are rumors that a 64-bit 9x sequel to Windows ME was in development at some point, and that'd be the closest something ever came to a different platform for 9x, and it probably never got off the drawing board.

As far as age goes, you might manage to get Windows NT 3.x running on it, but anything that relies on an underlying DOS or DOS itself would require some workarounds. I'm surprised you got it to boot at all, which simplifies the process, as you might just be able to load a TSR or something to hook all of the interrupts and redirect accordingly. It'd have some overhead but nothing a modern machine with a memory manager can't deal with.

The fastest/most stable solution would be to get the source for FreeDOS and make a fork that boots natively on EFI, however, and provides an "API" wrapper to allow BIOS calls still.
    Last edited by Raven; September 24th, 2010 at 08:02 PM.
    More commonly known as "Yushatak" - www.yushatak.com
    Focused on 486 and Pentium Machines
    I collect All-In-One PCs and Keyboard PCs, especially Compaq.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barythrin View Post
    Without looking it up I thought they added some stupid hypervisor to their x86 systems to pretend like you needed to run OSX and nothing else? Am I just wrong or was that removed or modded? I've seen it a few times also which threw me for a loop but don't have the money nor am a Mac fan so haven't experienced it myself.
    No hyperviser. If you are thinking about OS X, there is some kind of ID thingy in Apple machines, and OS X install knows how to check it. Apple hoped this would prevent people from installing OS X on non-Apple machines. We all know how good that one worked out.
    Torfinn

Here's a link you might find interesting for making your Mac come up under something other than Mac OS:
    http://www.dribin.org/dave/blog/arch...t_image_intel/

You can create a Mac OS partition on your drive or an external drive, then play around with boot.efi to make it display what you want at boot, then have your Mac start a program at boot that runs the OS or emulates the machine you want.

Here's a project for an open EFI bootloader that you may find useful:
    http://refit.sourceforge.net/

ETA:
    Found this, fellow says he managed it with a CD and rEFIt: http://macosx.com/forums/1330911-post7.html
    Last edited by saundby; October 4th, 2010 at 10:51 AM.
    Mark, W8BIT http://saundby.com/