Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleepers

Blog Entries

Default Sleepers

I'm sure there are some members out there who have XT/AT class chassies or earlier with a lot later internals. Do show and tell.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Blog Entries

How about later chassis with XT class innards?

I used to have a 486 DX2-66 motherboard in my IBM XT chassis, back when the XT chassis was the /only/ one I had. It's got the original XT board that came with it back in there now. I do have an XT-compatible 8088 clone board in a modernish AT chassis for testing, at the moment.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    How about later chassis with XT class innards?
    The ultimate sleeper you could say. Why not?
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Blog Entries

I've got a XT clone in a MAD Intelligent Systems 386 box. I'll grab a photo sometime.

I'd love to do something like that, but I only have one proper XT and one proper AT (as real IBM ones go).

There are AT-class Socket 775 boards, so one could conceivably mount a Core 2 Quad in an IBM 5150 case if they wanted to spend the money for the board, hah. THAT would be the ultimate sleeper.

My main box is in an old 10 year old beige case and it's a C2Q, heh.
    Resident Self-Proclaimed 486 and Pentium-class Machine Expert
    More commonly known as "Yushatak"
    www.yushatak.com

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    I used to have a 486 DX2-66 motherboard in my IBM XT chassis, back when the XT chassis was the /only/ one I had. It's got the original XT board that came with it back in there now. I do have an XT-compatible 8088 clone board in a modernish AT chassis for testing, at the moment.
    Same here, almost exactly; the 486/XT was my answering machine/CallerID announcer for many years (upgraded the XT MB to save power), and the 'test' XT MB is in one of those flip-top cases (without the top) for easy access.

What do you mean by "flip-top" case?
    Resident Self-Proclaimed 486 and Pentium-class Machine Expert
    More commonly known as "Yushatak"
    www.yushatak.com

Blog Entries

I don't think I would gut a working XT/AT and stick a 6 core board into it. There have been a few topics here where people were looking for the fastest AT motherboard made, so I assume they were looking to reuse an old AT case and make a "sleeper".
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    What do you mean by "flip-top" case?
    There were several different styles common in 'the old days'; this is like an AT case split in half, top and bottom, and hinged at the back with fancy little supports on each side to keep it open like the hood of a car. Convenient if you don't put a monitor on top

http://abcresellers.com/store/product136.html