Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sleepers

Piece of equipment. The word originates in reference to cars - i.e., an old-ass pickup truck with a racecar engine would be a "sleeper".
    More commonly known as "Yushatak" - www.yushatak.com
    Focused on 486 and Pentium Machines
    I collect All-In-One PCs and Keyboard PCs, especially Compaq.

Here's my sleeper. Owned it since 1996. Still not done with the build. Wont say anything else about it either until I'm completely done. Still need to make a mount to hold the GPU up so it's not on the verge of collapse, the vent holes are going to have RGB lights which will be separate fro the inside lights. I might add a 7 band spectrum analyzer on the front in the place of one of the dvd drives. Can't do any of this until the semester is over. Also need to get rid of some orange peel caused by the paint that I didn't have time to polish out.

I did an m-atx sleeper once out of an m-atx case that held a low end 1998-spec celeron. The only mod was I drilled a hole for an exhaust fan and spray painted the chassis (not the covers) matte black. Ended up looking like a cute beige minitower until you looked at the backside where it was all powder black and a dim orange light glowing out of the exhaust vents. Had to use an sfx psu though.

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

I had a dual 1366 system with in a old early atx server case a ways back.
    It just looked like a crummy mid/late 90s workstation, but under the hood it was a 8 core 3.6ghz 48gb of ram beast. Even had 6 ssd's in raid 1+0. It took a bit of modding to make it quite and cool, but nothing to major.

I used to have XT clone, looking for a pic in my folders..

No! No sleepers in my house! At all times possible, I try to have the original motherboard for every machine I own that I didn't make myself. Sadly, I have two motherboards that I don't know what cases they came in, and the answer would likely be ambiguous.

There is only one time where I had (and still am having) plans to put what is a different motherboard in a different case; an 80386DX-40 tower. The motherboard suffered from corrosion to where a resistor popped and half all the traces related to the EPROM wiring turned into a deep, nasty blue. Instead of me getting a new one, I realized that I got tired of finding a home for my 80386SX-33 motherboard, so I plan to shove it in there. I need to fix up the LCD segments at this point as well.
    Join the penny pincher army today!

I don' know if these two would quality, but...here are two for consideration.

I upgraded my PC/XT with a 386 InBoard/PC with a 133-pin compatible 486 chip, added an additional 4MB Inboard daughter card, an XT/IDE with CF drives and more for a decent sleeper while retaining the original 5160 motherboard - though doing so admittedly limits the rig 33MHz by the InBoard's oscillator and original system bus. Still, I don't it's too shabby given I was able to get it to run Windows 3.1 with snappy performance in enhanced mode and a boatload of DOS and Win 3.1 software with no negative effects.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/krYrxr

Then I decided to go the opposite direction, wanting to be able to run everything from DOS to Win7 and every Win OS edition in-between with full function - all on the same hardware without having to swap hardware or modify configuration when switching between them:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/yJjcCJ

...or maybe by sleeper you mean a total motherboard transplant in an XT case?

Mike

I have an original XT 5160 with an 8087 math copro, 2gb scsi C3010 hard drive. 1.44 and 1.2MB floppy using an 8bit floppy interface card. 6 pack plus, 3com etherlink II TP, 8088 to 386 upgrade board (runs a ribbon cable to the 8088 dip socket, lets you run either cpu with a switch running at 16mhz right now.) I have various RAM cards but havent populated or tested them so its still 640KB with the 6 pack plus. Oh yeah, generic (maybe western digital, cant tell) 8 bit vga card with 256K video RAM.

ITs not a sleeper, its just not stock.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    I have an original XT 5160 with an 8087 math copro, 2gb scsi C3010 hard drive. 1.44 and 1.2MB floppy using an 8bit floppy interface card. 6 pack plus, 3com etherlink II TP, 8088 to 386 upgrade board (runs a ribbon cable to the 8088 dip socket, lets you run either cpu with a switch running at 16mhz right now.) I have various RAM cards but havent populated or tested them so its still 640KB with the 6 pack plus. Oh yeah, generic (maybe western digital, cant tell) 8 bit vga card with 256K video RAM.

ITs not a sleeper, its just not stock.
    The CX486DRX2 20/40 is a direct drop in replacement for the 386 CPU that instantly boosts the Inboard upto 33MHz without having to modify any other hardware - just set up the cache. It's the fastest, easiest (literally) 5-10 minute upgrade, but you are still limited to 33MHz unless you replace the oscillator, and still limited by the smaller cache of the Cyrix CPU, but for $26 is was a no-brainer if you can find one. Quest had a slew of them in stock not long ago @ $26 each and now it lists as having none - quite odd. The piggyback memory boards for the Inboard are even more rare; the 4MB memory piggyback is a virtual unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by nc_mike View Post
    The CX486DRX2 20/40 is a direct drop in replacement for the 386 CPU that instantly boosts the Inboard upto 33MHz without having to modify any other hardware - just set up the cache. It's the fastest, easiest (literally) 5-10 minute upgrade, but you are still limited to 33MHz unless you replace the oscillator, and still limited by the smaller cache of the Cyrix CPU, but for $26 is was a no-brainer if you can find one. Quest had a slew of them in stock not long ago @ $26 each and now it lists as having none - quite odd. The piggyback memory boards for the Inboard are even more rare; the 4MB memory piggyback is a virtual unicorn.
    Mike I don't think my card is an inboard. Need to verify, but I don't think it is. I used to have an orchid tiiny turbo xt to 286 board but I got a great offer for it on eBay a few years back.