Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 286 Video Playing Program

I testet to convert some MPG1 videos I have, but dmpeg does not generate visable results.
    I only see artifacts, mostly in green and no sound.
    My goal is to get some videos on my AmigaBB wich has 286/8 ET4000 and 4x2GB CF-Card (DiskManager 9.42)
    On the primary IDE that is on the formosa-SC-1630 soundcard "coretest" reports around 1MB/Sec reading-speeds.

Blog Entries

Going green suggests that the MPG generated isn't compatible with the playback program. I think it would necessary to find a mid-90s conversion program and set up options to match whatever limits there are with the playback program. More modern conversion programs aren't bothering to optimize in ways needed to run on slow hardware.

I think, given your hardware, playback will be limited to 320 x 200 at 10 frames per second. Maybe a conversion of a stick figure animation could produce a file that could be decoded to produce a visible result.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dr.zeissler View Post
    I would love to play VIDEO on my 286/8 VGA, so I will testing the video players linked here: http://www.tankraider.com/userup/1366370256.zip

hopefully they will run.
    286/8 is too slow to decode MPEG-1. You might be able to get away with playing a 160x120 8fps Cinepak AVI file in Windows 3.1, as a 386sx-25 can play that @ 30fps.

If you insist, then the "XingIT" player is the only MPEG-1 player that has a chance of being fast enough, but it requires I-frame only files. I think I was able to use cmpeg to generate these decades ago, but I could be mis-remembering. Also, it doesn't support audio.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Thx, my 286 has only 1MB Ram and after starting Win30 the machine is barely usable.
    I am thinking about that guy with beavis&butthead on his 286, he has also a lowend 286
    and plays video with sound via quickbasic program...that should be possible on my machine too,
    perhaps 160x100 and not 320x200 as on his.

Blog Entries

You might be able to play MSV1 .AVI files if they're 160x120 and 10fps or less with PCM audio @ 11025Hz. The Pro Movie Spectrum capture board came with a DOS player and MSV1 is a fairly lightweight codec. ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/drivers/M...ie%20Spectrum/ has the software, which they called "DOS VCR". It plays MSV1 .AVI files as well as RLE8 files (which a 286 can definitely play since it's essentially Autodesk Animator files.

Speaking of which, you might enjoy simply playing very many Autodesk Animator .FLI files. Autodesk Animator was written with a 286+VGA as a target. If you're interested in that, I can make an .ISO full of them available.

Mike's "beavis and butthead" test was just raw 64k frames from disk to video card. It wasn't sync'd, nor was it fast.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Thx, I am currently collection some FLI-Files that would be nice, to browse through a large collection !
    Does anyone know exactly what format that guys with his quickbasic-program uses?
    My idea is to make new files from dvd source. But it's hard to find anything that reduces color to 256 eg. greytones would help for more quality.

Blog Entries

Offering a bounty for:

Thank you!

I have checked the files, some interesting stuff I have copied.
    Now I am back on the toppic.
    I will check you scene-stuff for xt on my 286/8, they should work pretty well.
    There was a herucles demo that also uses text characters to generate a rotating skull which looked pretty amazing on my schneider euro pc 9Mhz with hercules.

Some people say that the "simpsons-video" on 286/10 is a fake.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dr.zeissler View Post
    Some people say that the "simpsons-video" on 286/10 is a fake.
    What are you talking about?
    Offering a bounty for: