Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Interfacing IBM Selectric to IO Port?

1. Default

FWIW, I interfaced a Selectric to a Sinclair ZX-80 back in the days. IIRC did it have a bunch of solenoids and I controlled it through a parallell port that I built myself.

If you had walked into a Heathkit store to purchase a brand new H-11 back in the late 70's, the hard copy device they could have sold you with the system would have been the H36 which was a rebadged Decwriter II (LA36). That machine looks a lot like a Decwriter III (LA120) which was rebadged as the Teletype TP1000 and used extensively throughout what used to be known as The Bell System. So if you're looking for a closely matching hardcopy device, the Selectric and/or Teletype 35 type machines would not be as close a match as a Decwriter II or III, rebadged or otherwise. And the TP1000 might just be easier to find. There are still gobs of them sitting around in switchrooms all over the country, some still in service as console devices for the AT&T DACSII systems. At one point we were actually using one for a door stop.

There's no telling what you might turn up if you contacted the asset recovery folks at AT&T.
    "It's all bits on the bus, Cowboy! It's all bits on the bus!" -- Tom Beck, #1ESS Instructor, Southern Bell Opa Locka Training Center

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DDS View Post
    If you had walked into a Heathkit store to purchase a brand new H-11 back in the late 70's, the hard copy device they could have sold you with the system would have been the H36 which was a rebadged Decwriter II (LA36). That machine looks a lot like a Decwriter III (LA120) which was rebadged as the Teletype TP1000 and used extensively throughout what used to be known as The Bell System. So if you're looking for a closely matching hardcopy device, the Selectric and/or Teletype 35 type machines would not be as close a match as a Decwriter II or III, rebadged or otherwise. And the TP1000 might just be easier to find. There are still gobs of them sitting around in switchrooms all over the country, some still in service as console devices for the AT&T DACSII systems. At one point we were actually using one for a door stop.

There's no telling what you might turn up if you contacted the asset recovery folks at AT&T.
    Yes! As I have been looking for H11 stuff in another thread, I can't believe this didn't dawn on me. In fact here are some pictures from a Heathkit store in 1979 which show the demo display unit DEC LA-36 hooked up to an H11.

http://ww_heco.home.mindspring.com/omaha79.html

and of course, that would be RS232 controlled natively! One could probably use an epson LP driver and hook it up to a modern PC as well. So I think you can do a MIC drop DDS.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234