Image Map Image Map
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Anybody here actually collect Unix stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicHasClass View Post
    As it happens, I'm exhibiting at least one esoteric AIX thing this weekend at VCF West too. (A ThinkPad 860.)
    See, toldja

Unfortunately, I couldn't make it this year, either...sudden car troubles and having to walk three miles to the shop yesterday on top of that :/ Next year for sure...hopefully I'll actually have something to exhibit by then, too.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

sudden car troubles and having to walk three miles to the shop yesterday on top of that :/
    That sucks!
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room updated for 2019!: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Well, it was a long time coming, and fortunately for once in my life I'm in a position where this is only an inconvenience and not cause for a sudden panic attack. Still, it was a bummer to miss VCFW for the second year in a row...next year, for sure!
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

This kind of only sort of qualifies, but Stan Sieler pointed me to an eBay auction for an Accutech Gobi that was in Schrodinger's state and had no PSU. It was fairly thrashed but it was interesting, so I got it. It arrived with plastic fragments in the box and the LCD actually dropped out of the top case (fortunately I caught it before it landed on the slate). A couple cusswords and stabilizer clips later, I was able to open it. I looked at the power plug and saw it matched the one for my Tadpole-RDI UltraBook IIi, so I said what the heck and plugged it in. And what do you know!

https://www.floodgap.com/iv/3831

The Gobi 8 is the 3G capable version of the Gobi, which is a Sun Ray 2 laptop. It's MIPS based, I'm told, but there's no built-in storage that I can determine (I'll crack it open and see since it's cracked already, nyuk nyuk). Anyone out there with the real Solaris Sun Ray Server software? I have jOpenRay and it seems to start on my Talos II, but I haven't tried seeing if it will talk to the Gobi yet and it would be more fun to do it from a Sun.(tm)

Once I get it talking to the network, then I guess the next move is to try to repair the case damage.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room updated for 2019!: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicHasClass View Post
    Sun Ray 2
    I have a SunRay2, but to be honest it's not comfortable at all. The software is a mess about trying to support it on Linux.

6. Default

That thing is a "RDP" terminal (SunRay2 uses the RDP protocol) in "laptop shape".
    Isn't there any "vt100" terminal in "laptop shape" ?
    Isn't there any "X11" terminal in "laptop shape" ?

Quote Originally Posted by ivelegacy View Post
    That thing is a "RDP" terminal (SunRay2 uses the RDP protocol) in "laptop shape".
    Which RDP is that? The only one I'm familiar with is the Windows version.

There are several remote terminal laptops from the 80s, but they're mostly telecom-oriented I believe. The oldest that comes readily to mind is the TI Silent 700, but I don't know what that was actually compatible with. Maybe the TRS-80 model 100 is the best example, I think the TERM program on that was VT-52 compatible. Portable X11 terminals wouldn't have ever been considered necessary for a traveling Unix guru, surely, so the Tadpole workstation laptops would be the closest you'd get unless you dropped Linux on a compatible 90s laptop.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bifo86 View Post
    Which RDP is that?
    RDP stands for "Remote Desktop Protocol", it's is a proprietary protocol developed by Microsoft, which provides a user with a graphical interface to connect to another computer over a network connection. The user employs RDP client software for this purpose, while the other computer must run RDP server software.

Clients exist for most versions of Microsoft Windows, and the SunRay2 employes RDP client software as well, while the RDP server is built into Windows operating system, and by default, it listens on TCP port 3389 and UDP port 3389.
    Last edited by ivelegacy; August 31st, 2019 at 01:26 AM.

For use with a Linux/*BSD box, you can put xrdp on the server and run the RDP client attached to it.
    --
    Thus spake Tandy Xenix System III version 3.2: "Bughlt: Sckmud Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!"

Quote Originally Posted by ivelegacy View Post
    https://terminals-wiki.org/wiki/inde...ndom_Colleague
    https://terminals-wiki.org/wiki/inde...nformer_213_AE

Since they assume TCP/IP connections and generally use ethernet connections (although many could run SLIP/CSLIP/PPP over a serial line), I'm not aware of any.

But it doesn't matter because you're "ignoring" me. LOL.